Most Underrated President?

Jul 2018
England
We all know the names of the "great" Presidents which are primarily known for one thing such as George Washington (First President), Abraham Lincoln (Abolishing Slavery) and Franklin Roosevelt (New Deal).

Who would you say is the most underrated President who had one huge achievement, or did a lot to improve the United States but is never mentioned in the same way the 3 I mentioned are.

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
We all know the names of the "great" Presidents which are primarily known for one thing such as George Washington (First President), Abraham Lincoln (Abolishing Slavery) and Franklin Roosevelt (New Deal).

Who would you say is the most underrated President who had one huge achievement, or did a lot to improve the United States but is never mentioned in the same way the 3 I mentioned are.
I always have a soft spot for LBJ who went against the established democrats in particular the southern ones on civil rights. And whatever people may say about him that voting rights act wouldn't have been there without him.

Viperlord

Ad Honorem
Aug 2010
VA
I always have a soft spot for LBJ who went against the established democrats in particular the southern ones on civil rights. And whatever people may say about him that voting rights act wouldn't have been there without him.
LBJ is one of those Presidents who is simultaneously great and awful. Great, because his domestic agenda was the biggest accomplishment of its kind except for the New Deal and while not perfect, he was certainly the best civil rights President we've had. Also terrible because of his expansion and underhanded waging of the Vietnam War, which ultimately hobbled his domestic achievements. Where you rate him depends on how you weight these two things against each other.

Jul 2018
England
LBJ is one of those Presidents who is simultaneously great and awful. Great, because his domestic agenda was the biggest accomplishment of its kind except for the New Deal and while not perfect, he was certainly the best civil rights President we've had. Also terrible because of his expansion and underhanded waging of the Vietnam War, which ultimately hobbled his domestic achievements. Where you rate him depends on how you weight these two things against each other.
What I find incredible about LBJ is that he hated being Vice President and actually calculated how often Presidents tend to be assassinated and saw that they were due an assassination. He also nicknamed his penis "Jumbo", often boasting about it and showing it to people in the toilets.

Chlodio

Ad Honorem
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Chester Alan Arthur is seen as an accidental president and a product of the corrupt Spoils System. But he did bring about civil service reform and he started the naval build up that would eventually win the Spanish-American War. For his times he wasn't bad on civil rights either.

Dec 2011
Iowa USA
What I find incredible about LBJ is that he hated being Vice President and actually calculated how often Presidents tend to be assassinated and saw that they were due an assassination. He also nicknamed his penis "Jumbo", often boasting about it and showing it to people in the toilets.
Several personality quirks may be limiting in the exercise of executive power, but in my opinion the interest in using a nickname for a penis isn't among them.

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
What imo makes him good is that he knew that civil rights was a bad thing purely electorally speaking and that he didn't bow for the southern democrats with things like their manifesto. Eg Truman also wanted to do something, but he never got anywhere (and I think didn't really push for this reason)

Vietnam was indeed a nightmare which also killed his domestic agenda.

Jun 2015
UK
Jefferson. Did more in office to benefit the US than Washington (Louisiana Purchase, amongst others). And he wrote the Declaration of Independence. Washington was more of a military figure, but Jefferson akin to Franklin and Adams was one of the intellectual/philosophical minds of the Revolution.

Jackson. Whether he supported slavery or not is moot since he lived in a different era. And he helped orchestrate the Trail of Tears, but he made America bold as both a general (War of 1812) and as President ensured prosperity before the Civil War.

Viperlord

Ad Honorem
Aug 2010
VA
Jackson. Whether he supported slavery or not is moot since he lived in a different era. And he helped orchestrate the Trail of Tears, but he made America bold as both a general (War of 1812) and as President ensured prosperity before the Civil War.
Panic of 1837, anybody?

Jefferson. Did more in office to benefit the US than Washington (Louisiana Purchase, amongst others). And he wrote the Declaration of Independence. Washington was more of a military figure, but Jefferson akin to Franklin and Adams was one of the intellectual/philosophical minds of the Revolution.
I would argue the complete opposite regarding Jefferson; as President, he is horribly overrated for the Louisiana Purchase happening while he happened to be in office, while his active policies consisted more of cutting down the navy the Federalists had built up while moving towards conflict with Britain, the disastrous Embargo Act, and killing a bank that even Madison had to admit in the end they needed.

Similar History Discussions