Most worthless US territorial acquisition

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
The tern "limbo" unfortunately is the best definition at this time. Like I said unfortunately. As an independent country it would collapse immediately. The cause would be money, i.e. everything from their commerce and industry to infastructure and population. They just don't have the money, the labot force, the investments, etc. to survive.
Does that mean that Puerto Rico would not have been viable as an independent state even if it would have remained under Spanish rule?

Jun 2013
Connecticut
Does that mean that Puerto Rico would not have been viable as an independent state even if it would have remained under Spanish rule?
Agree. If PR followed the historical path of other Spanish colonies in the Western Hemisphere, it would go like this: 1.) fight for independence and win; 2.) struggle to survive as an independent nation; 3.) such a struggle would produce internal dissent, political failures, revolutions, etc. This cycle is evident all over the former Spanish Enpire. PR would be a miserable place on par with Haiti. In this speculative scenario, independence from Spain would no be a good move either.
That is why the "limbo" status is the best status at the moment.

Oct 2013
Europix
What would if it would have remained a part of Spain? Would its GDP per capita have been a little bit higher than $10k--such as $15k?
A suggestion could be the French DOM-TOM (it's the equivalent of the theoretical Spanish Puerto Rico in RL): the wages are approx 70-90% of those in France. Opulence, compared with salaries in other countries in the region, one might say.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
A suggestion could be the French DOM-TOM (it's the equivalent of the theoretical Spanish Puerto Rico in RL): the wages are approx 70-90% of those in France. Opulence, compared with salaries in other countries in the region, one might say.
What does DOM-TOM stand for? D'Outre Mer-something?

Also, Yes, this is why I wondered as to whether Puerto Ricans would have actually been willing to voluntarily make a complete break with Spain. After all, while Spain isn't as wealthy as France is, it is still relatively wealthy.

Oct 2013
Europix
What does DOM-TOM stand for? D'Outre Mer-something?

Also, Yes, this is why I wondered as to whether Puerto Ricans would have actually been willing to voluntarily make a complete break with Spain. After all, while Spain isn't as wealthy as France is, it is still relatively wealthy.
Overseas Departments/Territories (Guadeloupe, Martinique, Guyane, etc.)

Ceuta has a 21,000 GDP per capita, for example.

Similar History Discussions