Movies on History you would like to see?

Naima

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
Venice
I would really like if they could make some good movies on other new historical periods that are not just about US and the WWII.

I think cool would be like the Battle of Lepanto and vienna, the Roman punic wars, the Renaissence battles and so on ...

funakison

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
Between a rock and a hard place
How Bernadotte became king of Sweeden. A French revoloutionary with a death to kings tatoo rises through the ranks of the French army under Napoleon, effectively resigns ends up as the king of Sweeden.

My second choice would be the swan of the east. A story of the German cruiser Emden and her crew during WW I.

Last edited:
Jul 2017
Germany
How Bernadotte became king of Sweeden. A French revoloutionary with a death to kings tatoo rises through the ranks of the French army under Napoleon, effectively resigns ends up as the king of Sweeden.
I'd like to second that - if only to hear Desirée say: "But I thought Sweden was like Ponte Corvo ..."

Fantasus

Ad Honorem
Jan 2012
Northern part of European lowland
There should be so many possible topics. From the late period of the Middle Ages of Europe Chritianisation, "paganism" and crusades of the Baltic and Northeast.
If later than 1400 some of the inventions and discoveries of that age could play a part , thouhh not nevessarily by including the most known persons (printing could be part without any Guthenberg appearance, the Americas without Columbus unmotivated showing up as we can make fulms about 20.th century including Space engagement without showing Von Braun or Armstrong everywhere).

Jan 2015
MD, USA
Sorry, but Hollywood has already butchered WAY too much history, for my tastes. Frankly, the less they touch of it, the better.

To be fair, I've seen a few things set in *recent* history which were good, such as "Apollo 13" and "Band of Brothers". But the farther back you go, the more they feel free to make up all kinds of crap. Generally!

Matthew

Jul 2017
Argentina
Since you Josefa posted and you're from Germany, I tell you people, I'd love to see a good movie about Arminius (Hermann) life.
For all of you posters from Europe or US, I tell you, Juana de Azurduy would make a great movie.
Hey Matthew, you're my "tocayo" (how do you say that in english?). I totally agree about hollywood disguising fiction as history and, with that, loosing the chance to tell great stories. Even greater that those they invent. Still, take a look at this example. Hollywood made a movie about Schindler (great movie on my opinion but loosing traits of the real Schindler), and now he is almost the only worldwide famous WWII hero. Some polish guy made a movie about Irena Sendlerowa, much better than Schindler's List and.... did you see it in cable tv? Was it ever at the theater in your city?

Aug 2012
Has there ever been a big screen adaptation of Marlowe's play about Timur the Lame? Better yet, his play about Edward II? Shakespeare gets so much attention, but other playwrights were writing compelling histories, too.

May 2016
Nabataea
the personal life of Abd Al-Rahman I and his restoration of the Umayyad authority. Or a movie about the Brethren of Purity. Maybe also the greatest Nabataean king Aretas IV and the story of his daughter humiliation by her husband Herod Antipas, thus continuing the old Nabataean/Jewish feud would make a nice theme, considering the ancient environment.

Similar History Discussions