Mummy trains

Nov 2009
I saw a documentary years ago about the British rail system in Egypt using ancient Egyptian mummies for fuel in the locomotives.

Does anyone know which rail lines these were or the specifics of the mummies?

Edratman

Forum Staff
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
I too had heard the tale of mummies used as fuel for steam engines.

okamido, you get to put a check mark in your punctured balloon column. While I enjoy learning the root of my errors, I'm not real fond of losing balloons. :( :eek: :eek:

okamido

Forum Staff
Jun 2009
land of Califia
I too had heard the tale of mummies used as fuel for steam engines.

okamido, you get to put a check mark in your punctured balloon column. While I enjoy learning the root of my errors, I'm not real fond of losing balloons. :( :eek: :eek:

I'm sorry.:eek: It doesn't mean it never happen, though I would hate to think of losing those mummies to trains for fuel of all things.:(

tjadams

Ad Honoris
Mar 2009
Texas
I've heard of Augustus Stanwood of Maine who purchased tons of mummies in the 1860s and tried to use the wrappings into paper. It didn't work just right so he used it as plain wrapping paper.
Poor mummies.

okamido

Forum Staff
Jun 2009
land of Califia
I found reference for the apothecary as well, the same for their wraps being used for odd purposes. It is lame that they would come to these ends, no matter what it was, train fuel, phony medicine, or even thatch for a roof,(I found that as well).

tjadams

Ad Honoris
Mar 2009
Texas
I might add that it was very fashionable for the wealthy in the 19th century to buy an entire mummy, ship it to their house for a party, then have their guest take turns unwrapping it.

okamido

Forum Staff
Jun 2009
land of Califia