Mummy trains

diddyriddick

Historum Emeritas
May 2009
A tiny hamlet in the Carolina Sandhills
I might add that it was very fashionable for the wealthy in the 19th century to buy an entire mummy, ship it to their house for a party, then have their guest take turns unwrapping it.
Um....Ew! And I thought I had seen some bizarre parties!
;)

DIVUS IVLIVS

Ad Honoris
Jan 2008
Virginia
Supposedly Diddy, if you boiled some of the remains into a tea, it would cure what ails you? Hey Mummy! Like some tea? Laugh!

Black Dog

Ad Honorem
Mar 2008
Damned England
Possibly, the medicine thing has been confused with Mummia, a resin used in the mummification of bodies. It is still used as a folk medicine in parts of Africa. Many in the middle ages thought that mummia was actual mummies, ground up and mixed with resin.

There are many folk stories about the magical properties of dead bodies or related artifacts. In Medieval England, it was believed that if you took the rope that had hanged a man, and put it around your own neck, it would cure epilepsy.

I think you'd need an awful lot of mummies to keep a steam train going!

Black Dog

Ad Honorem
Mar 2008
Damned England
It takes about 1 hour to cremate a body in a modern gas powered crematorium: that's a "fresh" corpse with fat on it. Mummies have very little "fuel" apart from their bandages and perhaps whatever oils etc were used for embalming. There's virtually nothing to burn.