*Murder Mystery* Who would have been most likely to kill Theodore Roosevelt?

Mar 2012
Hi guys!
I have some food for thought and I would like to see if you'd like to join or help me.
For history, we are trying to solve this Mystery. If Theodore Roosevelt had died when he was shot, and the assasin represented or reflected a very important and prominent social or sentiment in that era about Theodore Roosevelt (for example, like the way McKinley was assassinated by an anarchist can lead you to decode all kinds of social factors and government actions) who would have been the killer?
So far, I am down to a list of obvious suspects such as J.P. Morgan, Carnegie, Taft, Wilson, and Emma Goldman (due to their mutual hate for one another, TR's hate of anarchist and Goldman's hate of TR) and a couple suspect that would oppose his foreign policy, but I feel like I am missing something, a big chunk actually, and I would like to hear your insights and ideas :)
Looking forward to this discussion!
Thank you! ^.^

tjadams

Ad Honoris
Mar 2009
Texas
I can easily see Roosevelt's time spent as N.Y. City Police Commissioner as
a place where here could make a lot of enemies with a grudge. I can see
William S. Devery or Richard Croker having the motive.​

Mar 2012
Hmmm i see. Very good input, thanks ^.^
However, there are still a couple clues that puzzle me and I am not very sure of how they fit this.
For example, there was a picture of the Rough Riders found related to the assassin, a republican pin, and a card with a cat like silhouette on it.
The Rough Riders picture makes me think that it was someone who was against his intervention in Latin America but the cat like silhouette I can't understand :/

Last edited:

Mike McClure

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Indiana
I can easily see Roosevelt's time spent as N.Y. City Police Commissioner as
a place where here could make a lot of enemies with a grudge. I can see
William S. Devery or Richard Croker having the motive.​
There were two bombs sent to Roosevelt when he was police commissioner and the raid on the Seeley banquet happened because they though they were going to catch Roosevelt at a dinner where a nude dancer was going to perform.

Patito de Hule

Ad Honorem
Jan 2009
Minneapolis, MN
I'd try to look at the views represented by John Schrank since he's the guy who actually tried it.

I don't know much about Schrank's views without doing some research, but he was a tavern owner from New York, which goes hand-in-hand with T J Adams' theory.

Most people who attempt murder, especially that of a celebrity, are usually unstable and that fits Schrank in spades. His parents died; his relatives who were raising him died; his fiance died. And it is rumored that he communicated with the ghost of William McKinley.

The only issue I'm aware of is Schrank's contempt for third terms for presidents. So your suspect may well be German or a Libertarian.

So thumb throug the newspaper archives of the day for a crazy, saloon-keeping, libertarian who is a customer of spiritual mediums. A good place to look for such is the muckrakers like Upton Sinclair, Ray Stannard Baker, or the Rev. Brace. Their writings are full of "The dangerous classes of New York."

By golly, I think I've found your suspect sleeping under the stairway in the tenement district.

tjadams

Ad Honoris
Mar 2009
Texas
There were two bombs sent to Roosevelt when he was police commissioner and the raid on the Seeley banquet happened because they though they were going to catch Roosevelt at a dinner where a nude dancer was going to perform.
Sure. If a person comes in an fearlessly challenges a person in power,
that person being challenged will often wait their time to get even and
don't forget.