Muslim perception of homosexuality?

Status
Closed
Feb 2019
Planet Earth
Apparently the Ottoman empire was the first to decriminalize homosexuality in 1858. A culture of male homosexuality was also widespread in pre-communist Albania. Have Muslim societies historically been more tolerant or is it just their perception of who is homosexual that differs from the Western European and American view?

antocya

Ad Honorem
May 2012
Iraq
I think the napoleonic code decriminalized homosexuality as well and perhaps the Ottoman Empire was influenced by that. Or maybe there was a shift in legislation on private matters of morality at that time.

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
You're avoiding the question. Its not what Muslims think it's what Islam teaches.
Actually as i understand the question was more about the historical muslim social perception of homosexuality.

It ranges from "gazing at boys", homoerotic poetry etc to different homosexual sexual acts between males (between females could be a subchapter too). Sodomy (liwata) in particular was illegal and punishable, though again scholars of the different legal schools interpreted and punished that differently (anal intercurse happened or not, active and passive role, did they view it as a sui generis crime or a subcategory of adultery), and of course enforcement was again a different issue. To the topic starter i can recommend Khaled El-Rouayheb's book Before Homosexuality in the Arab‐Islamic World, 1500–1800 if she really interested in the topic.

Baldtastic

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Londinium
Actually as i understand the question was more about the historical muslim social perception of homosexuality.

It ranges from "gazing at boys", homoerotic poetry etc to different homosexual sexual acts between males (between females could be a subchapter too). Sodomy (liwata) in particular was illegal and punishable, though again scholars of the different legal schools interpreted and punished that differently (anal intercurse happened or not, active and passive role, did they view it as a sui generis crime or a subcategory of adultery), and of course enforcement was again a different issue. To the topic starter i can recommend Khaled El-Rouayheb's book Before Homosexuality in the Arab‐Islamic World, 1500–1800 if he really interested in the topic.
There’s nothing in my post that is time-bound, I’m simply referring to the source material rather than a specific person to understand what Islams’ view on homosexual behavior is.

Reactions: Futurist
Status
Closed