Mussolini and the Italian Jews

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
There is some difference between a sect tenets on what is allowable and a state laws enforceable in the courts

in the US interracial marriages were deemed constitutional in 1967 by supreme court ruling in the Loving V. Virginia case

In the state of Israel ,the orthodox Jewish courts have great power on the subject of marriages and divorces
They cannot prevent interracial marriage but can withhold the status of Jewishness
What's interesting about interracial marriages in the US is that when a lot of Northern US states legalized interracial marriage in the couple of decades after the end of the American Civil War (1865 to 1887), there was still a lot of hostility towards interracial marriage in these US states but lawmakers (and probably a lot of people as well) there believed that interracial marriage shouldn't be an issue that the government should actually seek to prohibit.

Dec 2015
USA
How can you have Muslims in your family if your Muslim family members oppose interfaith marriage? :lol:
Well my friend its because my sister converted from Catholicism to Islam...she married a Muslim and by destiny converted. Interestingly my Muslim brother in law has a Muslim Sister that is married to a Catholic, that is the true Islam proof shows us that many Muslims men and women support interfaith marriage. And there are Christians from my aunts side whom I believe are opposed to their kids marrying someone of a different faith. Family is family, in fact we are all one big family as humans. You and I are the same.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Well my friend its because my sister converted from Catholicism to Islam...she married a Muslim and by destiny converted. Interestingly my Muslim brother in law has a Muslim Sister that is married to a Catholic, that is the true Islam proof shows us that many Muslims men and women support interfaith marriage. And there are Christians from my aunts side whom I believe are opposed to their kids marrying someone of a different faith. Family is family, in fact we are all one big family as humans. You and I are the same.
Did your sister begin wearing a hijab afterwards?

Dec 2015
USA
So nothing but her eyes are visible?
Yes that is right. In front of me and family though she just dresses in jeans and a shirt. I got no problem answering these questions and for the future you or El Cid or anyone pm with such questions...as we dont want to get to far away from the point of this thread.

What I will add is that Italy under Mussolini opposed intermarriage..and no matter what its important for anyone whom claims to be good or liberal or well meaning to stand for freedom and liberty and to oppose the ideals of those such as Mussolini . I say that as an American of Italian background.

Nov 2009
Outer world
No, Mussolini was not always an anti-semite and I even doubt he truly was later on, even though he must have been sort of suspicious of having a community with such a distinct character. That being said, Jews were never seen in modern Italy as a problem and there was no "Jewish question" in Italy because Jews were much integrated and scarce in numbers. Also, a consistent number of them supported Mussolini since the beginning.
In addition, most Italians was sort of surprised by the Racial Laws which were seen as something alien to Italian society, where race never played much of a big role: in fact, while there was certainly a racism/discrimination towards Africans (just see the case of general Domenico Mondelli), there was a different lax attitude towards colonised peoples and interracial marriages were rather frequent even after the enacting of the racial laws, which had a provision especially prohibiting said relations (a provision little observed).
Also, the Italian army protected Jews wherever it went, refusing to hand it over to Nazis or Ustashas: yet, it is necessary to consider two points:
1) How much of this tolerance was the merit of the Italian monarchy (which was notably much less antisemitic than in most of Europe) and how much was due to Mussolini's casual attitude towards Nazi racial bullshit
2) When Mussolini was reinstated in the Italian Social Republic (RSI), he proceeded to agree to the deportation of Italian Jews. Did he do this because he truly hated them or was he just a puppet with little decision power?
Regarding point two, it's true that Mussolini had relatively little power, especially when Germans ordered something to be done, yet many fanatical fascists participated in deportations of their countrymen without as much of batting an eye.
Summing it up, I think that Mussolini was much less racist and antisemitic than most European dictators (even than Stalin), yet he considered Jews a pawn worth being sacrificed on the altar of the alliance with Germany and he did not protest the deportation of Italian Jews into German camps (well, he cared little also for the deportation of hundreds of thousands of Italian prisoners of war who were interned and died by thousands in German hands).
That being said, had Mussolini either remained neutral or managed to keep more autonomy in the context of the overall war effort (let's say he was not overthrown and Italy fought to the bitter end after Operation Husky), I doubt he would have agreed to German insistence as he had hardly any reason to.

Mar 2013
Escandinavia y Mesopotamia
Well my friend its because my sister converted from Catholicism to Islam...she married a Muslim and by destiny converted. Interestingly my Muslim brother in law has a Muslim Sister that is married to a Catholic...
So, you have family members who oppose interfaith marriages, but your “sister” has converted to the religion of peace, and one of your “Muslim brother in law” has a sister that is married to a Catholic person… but your family members oppose interfaith marriages? - Very logically.

... I got no problem answering these questions and for the future you or El Cid or anyone pm with such questions....
zzzzzzz...... yawn.......
I am not interested, and I am not obligated to trust everything what you say. After all there is nothing certain in life apart from death, taxes and that the Turks have committed and deny a genocide.

Similar History Discussions