My Custom made Islamic and Christian T -shirt

Status
Closed
Oct 2013
Europix
Happy with how this one came out. So I thought I would share this artwork of two men that inspire me to live and to never give up,

I'm happy You like it.

I don't wanna spoil it, but I hope You realize that we're fortunate to be in a time when we can put their idealised images on a T-shirt and not contemporaries.

I wouldn't like to see neither You nor I facing them in their time and having a disagreement with any of the two...

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
Why Godfrey? Didn't the sack of Jerusalem happen during the Crusade he was a part of? Saladin's famous tolerance was also overstated. During his rule in Egypt, he removed many non-Muslims from positions of authority, ordered the removal of crosses, prohibited the ringing of church bells, prohibited public consumption of wine. Later he prohibited the dhimmis from riding horses and mules and from practicing medicine. I will say that many of the churches destroyed by Saladin's troops were rebuilt and that the anti-dhimmi policy was relaxed later, but we should still abstain from seeing Saladin as this paragon of tolerance.

Dec 2015
USA
Why Godfrey? Didn't the sack of Jerusalem happen during the Crusade he was a part of? Saladin's famous tolerance was also overstated. During his rule in Egypt, he removed many non-Muslims from positions of authority, ordered the removal of crosses, prohibited the ringing of church bells, prohibited public consumption of wine. Later he prohibited the dhimmis from riding horses and mules and from practicing medicine. I will say that many of the churches destroyed by Saladin's troops were rebuilt and that the anti-dhimmi policy was relaxed later, but we should still abstain from seeing Saladin as this paragon of tolerance.

I would say to look into what other scholars have to say.

Why Godfrey you ask, because he was a man of honor, tolerance and dignity. And thats why he and Saladin are on my T shirt. I will provide now though why I will not change my view now or ever that Saladin and Godfrey were honorable men. .

The Muslims deeply admired Godfrey

Interestingly, Muslim-Christian relations during Godfrey’s reign weren’t completely ruined by warfare. They were actually cordial. Given how fractured the Muslim world was at that time, there is no doubt that some Muslim groups sought an alliance with the Franks. But the Arabs were also deeply impressed by the Franks’ courage and prowess in battle. They were particularly impressed with Godfrey’s pious and contrite personality. During the siege of Arsuf, sheiks brought a variety of goods to Godfrey to pay tribute to their new overlord. They were surprised to see how simply Godfrey dressed. “This redoubtable prince, who had come from so far to create a disturbance among them…satisfied with such a modest apparel, without rugs or silk drapes and without a royal attire,” wrote one Arab chronicler (quoted in Rita Stark, 26).

When questioned about his lack of royal finery, Godfrey responded; “Man must remember that his is nothing but dust and will return to dust” (Rita Stark, 26). The Arabs were filled with so much admiration for Godfrey; they sought greater interaction with the Franks. They had also learnt of Godfrey’s legendary strength and wanted to witness it for themselves.

Godfrey of Bouillon: Little Known Facts - Crusades and Crusaders

Saladin: A Benevolent Man Respected by Both Muslims and Christians

Saladin Benevolent Man Respected Muslims Christians,Time Magazine

Dec 2015
USA
I'm happy You like it.

I don't wanna spoil it, but I hope You realize that we're fortunate to be in a time when we can put their idealised images on a T-shirt and not contemporaries.

I wouldn't like to see neither You nor I facing them in their time and having a disagreement with any of the two...
I'm happy You like it.

Idolatry is an interesting study and debate. Today though there are tons of representations of those of the middle ages right in Catholic Churches.

Status
Closed

Similar History Discussions