My List of the Greatest Commanders in History

Sep 2018
michigan
Now that this thread is alive again I would like to ask, why is Jiang Jieshi on the list? Most people consider him to be a man who allowed an ineffective command structure to waste away money and eventually lost. Why do you think he is eligible? I would like to hear your opinion Nobunaga.

Jan 2015
Ontario, Canada
Now that this thread is alive again I would like to ask, why is Jiang Jieshi on the list? Most people consider him to be a man who allowed an ineffective command structure to waste away money and eventually lost. Why do you think he is eligible? I would like to hear your opinion Nobunaga.
Ultimately for his success in defeating the Warlords and holding on against the Japanese. Though to be honest that was one of my more hesitant choices.
Although I think a lot of his defeats were largely circumstantial such as Shanghai. He was not in a position to fight the Japanese, the fact that he withdrew to the east and held out is in my opinion rather impressive. If you want to make a case then go ahead.

Jan 2015
Ontario, Canada
Zhou Yu (175-210) - A general which served the Sun house in the state of Wu during the Three Kingdoms. He first served as an officer, administrator and strategist under Sun Jian and his son Sun Ce. Under Sun Quan he was given more commands and took part alongside Cheng Pu in the campaign against Huang Zu (a general under Liu Biao in Jing Province) in 208. In that same year he organized an army of 30,000 men and together with Cheng Pu and his ally Liu Bei he fought the massive naval battle at Chibi (Redcliff) which led to the Han Empire being divided into three states. Afterwards Zhou Yu, Liu Bei and Cheng Pu campaigned against Cao Ren in Jing Province. He died in the year 210 while planning an invasion of Yi Province in the west (under warlord Liu Zhang) and was succeeded in his duties by Lu Su.

Xie Xuan (343-388) - A general of the declining Jin Dynasty after the barbarians invasions which swept northern China. Xie Xuan served under the general Huan Wen in fighting the state of former Qin. He successfully defeated the King of Former Qin, a state created by sinicized Di people which had conquered the north by the 4th century. He commanded three campaigns along the Yangtze and Yellow rivers before his untimely death. With his victory against Former Qin at the Fei River, he successfully defended the Jin Dynasty and prevented the Di barbarians from conquering the south.

Mikhail Barclay de Tolly (1761-1818) - Due to his campaigns in Finland (1808/09), Russia (1812), Poland and Germany (1813) and France (1814). He was the driving force behind the Russian military reforms after 1808 (during which he commanded the war against Sweden) and the key Russian commander in opposing Napoleon in 1812 as well as directing the Russian effort in 1813, 1814 and 1815.

Yamagata Aritomo (1838-1922) - An officer during the Boshin "Revolution" he was instrumental in forming the Imperial Japanese Army and developing Japanese military doctrine and strategy. He was one of the generals which suppressed the Satsuma Rebellion and served in multiple positions including War Minister. He commanded the First Army in Korea during the Sino-Japanese War until December after he crossed the Yalu River. During the Russo-Japanese War he played a key role as Chief of General Staff.

Gunther von Kluge (1882-1944) - He had experience in Army commands and then finally Army Group command during the war, which gave him an advantage. He commanded 4th Army in northern Poland (under Bock), 4th Army as part of the central thrust in France and 4th Army (under Rundstedt) as part of the central attack in Russia and in the Battle of Moscow (under Bock again). At the end of 1941 he replaced Bock as commander of Army Group Center. Largely he had commanded the bloody defensive operations of Army Group Center from the very end of 1941 until 1944. Even carrying out strategic withdrawals such as Operation Buffel. He was also in command of one of the Army Groups in Operation Citadel, along the northern sector of the Kursk salient which included Orel. After Rundstedt had failed to defend Normandy, he was replaced by Gunther von Kluge. Generally being more competent he was nonetheless unable to hold the line, no counter offensive succeeded, and was forced to withdraw towards the Seine and Loire rivers. On 19 August he drank cyanide either for fear of implication in the Bomb Plot or for fear of defeat.

In addition to these I also threw in Gnaeus Pompeius Strabo and Quintus Caecilius Metellus Pius.
Short biographies were written HERE by Duke Valentino.

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions