My List of the Greatest Commanders in History

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
He started off with a wreck of an empire (basically Constantinople and some coastal areas), **** army and disastrous strategic position.
Actually no. All of the big Sassanian conquests (Palestine, Egypt) happened AFTER Heraclius took over. In fact, as you yourself noted, his rebellion was also a major shock to the empire and basically was the event that made the Persian conquests possible.

Jan 2018
Sturgeon Lake Mn.
I haven't read the entire thread but Ernest King and Raymond Spruance are worthy of consideration. As is Robert Eichelberger.

Jan 2015
Ontario, Canada
I haven't read the entire thread but Ernest King and Raymond Spruance are worthy of consideration. As is Robert Eichelberger.
I will keep that in mind. I haven't included them.

Just so people have an idea, for now I will largely ignore topics which include African history, South East Asian history or WW1 and WW2. The former subject is too obscure for me to really give a look at it. The latter subjects are way too complex. That does not mean I won't give it a look but I don't really plan to be reading on these subjects for this kind of specific information, at least for now anyway. All suggestions are welcome though.

Oct 2011
Croatia
Actually no. All of the big Sassanian conquests (Palestine, Egypt) happened AFTER Heraclius took over. In fact, as you yourself noted, his rebellion was also a major shock to the empire and basically was the event that made the Persian conquests possible.
I was referring strictly to his military campaign against Persians. As I recall, he spent some years training the army before embarking on the campaign.

Jan 2015
Ontario, Canada
Where's Patton!? How could you also forget Heinz Guderian?

Alfonso de Albuquerque needs to be added immediately. Bill Slim also deserves mentioning.
William Slim and muh discoveries guy are on the list.
Scroll down to post #193.
My List of the Greatest Commanders in History

Why would I add Patton? What were his accomplishments exactly? I don't really see why I would include him but I could be persuaded. I don't really think Patton lives up to the hype. Certainly better than the golden boy Hodges at least.

Heinz Guderian on the other hand only commanded Panzer formations in the field so he automatically isn't considered. Aside from that he had a really bad performance in Operation Typhoon and rightly deserved to be removed from his command for insubordination. Aside from that he is also known as a "strategist" but he never provided anything meaningful in terms of military strategy, neither during the war or as a theoretical text. He was literally Maharbal in that he was always complaining that Hitler had to attack Moscow, and Guderian was wrong in any case. Everyone assumes that his career ends there but Guderian was also in charge of OKH from about August 1944 onward and here again he did nothing meaningful. Maybe the only good thing he did was order fortifications in East Prussia but his performance in Hungary wasn't particularly good either. Now when it comes to tank commanders he only performed well against the weak Poland or the woefully undefended positions in Sedan. In Russia he was actually challenged maybe for the first time ever, and besides the Eastern Front ended up producing better tank commanders than Guderian anyhow.

Jan 2015
Ontario, Canada
Just to clarify, the uncertain list is all the commanders which I did not do an analysis of or read in depth. There is nothing special about them other than that they are commanders. So it is just process of elimination. Really it just means that I didn't knock them out or bump them into the main list.

In addition to that list I am also making a list with all the names of the generals that I did not include and that I decided not to put in the main list. I call this one the "Other Commanders" which I can post in case anyone is curious.
As I said I would here is part of the "Other Generals List". ;)
The Military Subordinates

Next update will be the 19th Dynasty of Egypt. This last one of 18th Dynasty took me forever to do. I almost want to just list the names and not give any context. :crying:

Similar History Discussions