Mystery quote supposedly by Pericles - too good to be true?

Apr 2018
Upland, Sweden
I am finishing off a paper (NOTE: Please Mods, do not dissmiss this as "homework"), and I am looking for a suitably good ending pithy quote to end my narrative. So, I came across this one quote attributed to Pericles in the (admittedly written in a very popular historical way - still better than the one from Azoulay though) biography "Pericles of Athens and the Birth of Democracy".

"Remember that Athens has the greatest name among all mankind because it has never given way to misfortune but has expanded more lives and effort in warfare than any other polis, gaining the greatest power that has ever existed down to our time. The memory of this power, even if now we should some day give way (for all the things that have grown must also decay) will be passed on forever to those who come after us."

The thing is though, this quote is unsourced in Kagan's biography. Is this from Thucydides? I was thinking that this was a private translation by Kagan, and I can't find it in the Loeb text. It does not seem to be from the funeral oration if it is from Thucydides. I suppose in theory it could be Kagan taking some dramatic liberty with the historical facts, and quoting a non-historical source in order to make it sufficiently epic for the general reader, but given the quote's general position in the text that interpretation doesn't make any sense.

So anyway, I was just curious if any of you had come across this particular quote before? I'd so desperately love to have it...

but given that Kagan has spent his entire life more or less studying 5th century Athens and has a special inkling towards Peric

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
I
"Remember that Athens has the greatest name among all mankind because it has never given way to misfortune but has expanded more lives and effort in warfare than any other polis, gaining the greatest power that has ever existed down to our time. The memory of this power, even if now we should some day give way (for all the things that have grown must also decay) will be passed on forever to those who come after us."
Didn't Pericles know about Egypt 1300-1100 BC?