Mystery war grave

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
I visited the parish church in Laugharne today to see Dylan Thomas’s grave. I was surprised to see a “Known unto God” CWGC grave there dated 29 August 1941. Anyone any thoughts on how that could be? I have thought since that it could have been an aircrew member but surely it’s likely that they could have been identified. Or maybe a sailor whose body was washed ashore. Perhaps I’ve answered my own question.

Dec 2014
Wales
I would have thought a sailor washed ashore there more likely - most aircrew were identified, especially allied aircrew.

Tercios Espanoles

Ad Honorem
Mar 2014
Beneath a cold sun, a grey sun, a Heretic sun...
No service branch given? That's odd. If the body was washed ashore naked (or completely burned) there wouldn't be any method of identifying it as military in the first place.

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
I would have thought a sailor washed ashore there more likely - most aircrew were identified, especially allied aircrew.
It says “A soldier of the Second World War” on the grave stone so that weakens my soldier/airman theory.

Dec 2014
Wales
Odd. I've not heard of many unnamed graves in local cemeteries, and those that were were usually sailors washed up on shore. Most of the time even airman were able to be identified. It would be an interesting tale to it I'm sure.

Reactions: bedb

Edric Streona

Ad Honorem
Feb 2016
Japan
Well. Troopships got sunk and hospital ships. So soldiers did drown and get washed up on beaches.

Though without and regimental details it will be very hard to try and identify this man.
Assuming his branch has even been identified correctly.

Edric Streona

Ad Honorem
Feb 2016
Japan
Identification might depend on the condition of the body, was it charred, decomposed or partially eaten. It might have washed up in August 1941 but could have been in the sea for longer... it might have just been possibly to work out the fact it was a soldier.

How did he get there?
He could have committed suicide.
Fallen off a boat.
Been murdered.
Been on a troopship/transport accident.

Edric Streona

Ad Honorem
Feb 2016
Japan
I’d start by looking for local newspaper articles from around that time. They might have elaborated more.

If it just says “soldier” he might not have have been British. Lots of Canadians, Aussie’s, Poles, Dutch etc in Brit uniforms.