Napoleon and the Great Pyramid

Mar 2014
Wales
During Napoleon's Egyptian Campaign, he and his troops visited the Great Pyramid.

Whilst inside, Napoleon asked to be left alone in the King's Chambers. When his men returned to the chamber later, Napoleon looked noticeably shaken. When asked by one of his men what he had seen in the chamber, he said to the men that he would never speak of it.

So...what do you guys believe happened in there?

Feb 2014
Kingdom of the Netherlands
It is most likely one of those myths that occur to many famous people. Like Alexander with the cutting of the rope, Brutus and Caesar and the dramatic ending etc. It might have happened but most likely it did not. If it did happen though maybe Napoleon heard specific noises that old buildings always make or saw something disgusting. If it did happen it was probably something emberassing or very personal otherwise Napoleon would have told his men.

irishcrusader95

Ad Honorem
Aug 2010
Ireland
I'm not entirely convinced this even happened. It's not mentioned in any historical documentation of the campaign, not that i know of anyway. i would consider it a myth though if it is true i still wouldn't think much of it. Napoleon's view of religion was that of Seneca
"Religion is considered by the poor as true, by the wise as false and by rulers as useful"

Feb 2014
Kingdom of the Netherlands
I'm not entirely convinced this even happened. It's not mentioned in any historical documentation of the campaign, not that i know of anyway. i would consider it a myth though if it is true i still wouldn't think much of it. Napoleon's view of religion was that of Seneca
"Religion is considered by the poor as true, by the wise as false and by rulers as useful"
Exactly what I said as well. Stories like these are to good to be true, in most cases.

Mar 2014
Wales
I believe that something happened in there, but it was something which became over-glorified. I maintain the belief that he saw a snake or scorpion, screamed very loudly, killed the beast, hid the remains and then swore to never speak of his fear of snakes/scorpions again.