Napoleon and Waterloo

Feb 2014
Kingdom of the Netherlands
Its an interesting theory, but since he was later executed not likely!

Tbh I think the criticism for being hesitant at Quatre Bras could perhaps have led to his misguided aggression at Waterloo.

But in all honesty he should never have been put in such a position in the first place. Personally I think Napoleon gave him the role because he had switched sides back to Napoleon. I think at this stage Napileon was more concerned about loyalty than ability.
Oh yes, hence the smilies at the end. You would have expected Ney and Soult to know Wellington by that point. That were the only people present during that campaign that had actually faced Wellington. Soult actually performed quite adequately against Wellington in the Toulouse campaign.

Feb 2014
I find it impossible to watch Waterloo or listen to that song and not fall at least a little in love with Napoleon and France and even poor old Ney :D
This movie sparked my interest in the period. Since then the last 14 years or so I cant let it go. So instead I embraced it and became basically a Napoleon buff. Still watch the movie on a yearly basis almost, never getting tired of it. Though I wished they'd make a movie like this on Austerlitz. Luckily the Russians made a good one about Borodino which was spectecular.

Jun 2014
Cal Poly
This movie sparked my interest in the period. Since then the last 14 years or so I cant let it go. So instead I embraced it and became basically a Napoleon buff. Still watch the movie on a yearly basis almost, never getting tired of it. Though I wished they'd make a movie like this on Austerlitz. Luckily the Russians made a good one about Borodino which was spectecular.
Auesterlitz would be a great movie. I just happened across the Napoleon miniseries from the early 2000s the other day and while the battle scenes are pretty lame, I did find all the politics and scheming and affairs in Napoleon's life fascinating, albeit somewhat repulsive at times.

Feb 2014
Auesterlitz would be a great movie. I just happened across the Napoleon miniseries from the early 2000s the other day and while the battle scenes are pretty lame, I did find all the politics and scheming and affairs in Napoleon's life fascinating, albeit somewhat repulsive at times.
Oh yes, its a great series. Clavier plays a good Napoleon. Yesterday I just ordered the miniseries Napoleon and Love with Iam Holm. After seeing that one I believe I watched everything Napoleon related on screen :p.

Edit: There is an Austerlitz movie btw. Watched it 2 years ago. Its entirely in French tho and battle scenes are not spectecular.

nuclearguy165

Ad Honorem
Nov 2011
Ohio, USA
Oh yes, its a great series. Clavier plays a good Napoleon. Yesterday I just ordered the miniseries Napoleon and Love with Iam Holm. After seeing that one I believe I watched everything Napoleon related on screen :p.

Edit: There is an Austerlitz movie btw. Watched it 2 years ago. Its entirely in French tho and battle scenes are not spectecular.
I loved that series as well.

Now all we need is a film about Italy, Egypt, Marengo, Austerlitz, Eylau (a sequel about Friedland heheh), Kulm, Leipzig, and 1814. Oh, and a huge drama series encompassing both Napoleon and many other important players in these series of conflicts.:D

Feb 2014
I loved that series as well.

Now all we need is a film about Italy, Egypt, Marengo, Austerlitz, Eylau (a sequel about Friedland heheh), Kulm, Leipzig, and 1814. Oh, and a huge drama series encompassing both Napoleon and many other important players in these series of conflicts.:D
You know, eventhough Leipzig was regrettably a defeat for Napoleon it would nonetheless be spectecular to see on screen. Simply due the shere immensity of the battle. Wagram would be an interesting one as well in that regard. To see 150,000 plus armies clash on screen would make any Rankean historian melt.

Lord Oda Nobunaga

Ad Honorem
Jan 2015
Ontario, Canada
I've seen all of these shows and movies except for Napoleon in Love (starring Bilbo Baggins). I would very much want to see a 100 episode series with epic battles, well written political intrigue, complex characters and good use of history. Though with Napoleon it would be extremely easy to do poorly, casting and writing would be a challenge. Honestly I think that if anyone were to write this wouldn't it be us? We just need someone with sufficient writing ability to flesh this out into an actual story and write compelling characters and appropriate dialogue.

Indeed the Christian Clavier series was pretty good, Clavier did surprisingly well as Napoleon. I have very minor nitpicks with his portrayal. On the whole I give him maybe 9/10 for his performance. The show also had more interesting political intrigue than it did battles, I actually wanted to see less battles and more intrigue. Just think how much more could have been squeezed in if this was 6 episode or 10 episodes instead of just 4. Now imagine 100 episodes!!! Too bad there probably isn't enough budget in the universe to make that happen. Well maybe France could produce this if they sold French Guiana, which would be completely worth it.