Napoleon and Waterloo

nuclearguy165

Ad Honorem
Nov 2011
Ohio, USA
I've seen all of these shows and movies except for Napoleon in Love (starring Bilbo Baggins). I would very much want to see a 100 episode series with epic battles, well written political intrigue, complex characters and good use of history. Though with Napoleon it would be extremely easy to do poorly, casting and writing would be a challenge. Honestly I think that if anyone were to write this wouldn't it be us? We just need someone with sufficient writing ability to flesh this out into an actual story and write compelling characters and appropriate dialogue.

Indeed the Christian Clavier series was pretty good, Clavier did surprisingly well as Napoleon. I have very minor nitpicks with his portrayal. On the whole I give him maybe 9/10 for his performance. The show also had more interesting political intrigue than it did battles, I actually wanted to see less battles and more intrigue. Just think how much more could have been squeezed in if this was 6 episode or 10 episodes instead of just 4. Now imagine 100 episodes!!! Too bad there probably isn't enough budget in the universe to make that happen. Well maybe France could produce this if they sold French Guiana, which would be completely worth it.
:lol: Gold

Lord Oda Nobunaga

Ad Honorem
Jan 2015
Ontario, Canada
I mean to be honest they would probably make more money in the long run if they sold French Guiana. That place is a money pit, but I digress. :D
Only suggested this because enslaving the populace to produce money for the show's production is most likely out of the question.

Actually for the budget it could probably be a mix of corporate budgeting and funding campaigns, maybe Patreon or something of that sort. Maybe also large amounts of merchandising though how do you sell Napoleon products (action figures and miniatures maybe)? Basically you could make season 1 with some 10 episodes, use the money from that as well as more funding campaigns to produce season 2 and just keep going until you finish all 10 seasons or so. Also to collect the money you will either want a massive corporate deal or go multi-platform broadcasts to collect money from as many places as possible.

Feb 2014
Kingdom of the Netherlands
Im scared they will hollywoodize it too much :(. The thing I like about the old Napoleon stuff so far is that it is genuine in some ways and at least tries to be accurate. I just hope hollywood wont fall for the short/cruel/petty/napoleon complex stereotype.

This would have been gold though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8t5JFeoesk

Watch from 2:15.

nuclearguy165

Ad Honorem
Nov 2011
Ohio, USA
Im scared they will hollywoodize it too much :(. The thing I like about the old Napoleon stuff so far is that it is genuine in some ways and at least tries to be accurate. I just hope hollywood wont fall for the short/cruel/petty/napoleon complex stereotype.

This would have been gold though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8t5JFeoesk

Watch from 2:15.
It would have great potential so long as they don't over-simplify the many complex figures/characters involved.

Lord Oda Nobunaga

Ad Honorem
Jan 2015
Ontario, Canada
I read the Kubrick script, it wasn't that amazing if I am being perfectly candid. It seemed far too simplistic to portray the characters and events in any sort of grandeur or psychologically compelling way. In my opinion a series of many episodes gives it the correct amount of space for something of this size. Even a 4 hour Kubrick film would not have done this justice. But aside from that we should not fixate on historical events but rather have this be a character driven story. What we want is interactions between characters and for the carefully written script and the subtle acting itself to give us the story. Not everything should be spelled out for the audience but rather they should be forced to read between the lines and realize that intentions and motivations of characters can also be open to interpretation. Occasionally you can have the straight man who tells it like they see it or someone else who rather foolishly says it like it actually is. Given that there are so many characters these archetypes would not be hard to find. The trick is really in breaking the archetype and giving the characters more complexity, using the basic archetype as a subversive element.

This is a short on Napoleon at Toulon made by the BBC and is quite decent. It has a bit of that HBO Rome intrigue but well contained to suit the subject matter.
Bbc warriors Napoleon 1/6 HQ - Vìdeo Dailymotion

Here is, in my opinion one of the best political thrillers I've seen. Skip to the 19 minute mark and keep watching until about 29 minutes in. While maybe a bit overly dramatic it gets the subtleties correct. Take note of the specific words being used, the acting, the context, the faces and the timing. Notice how Emperor Cao Pi declares "I am in my fourth decade, how can I be forced to wait any longer!?", this leads into the next parts of that immediate arc and allows you to gauge Cao Pi's level as a character. The political intrigue genre is all about keeping the audience guessing but also in expertly putting in hints amidst all of the uncertainty.

Last edited:
Sep 2013
France
I mean to be honest they would probably make more money in the long run if they sold French Guiana. That place is a money pit, but I digress. :D
French Guyana is the cheapest place on earth to launch rockets into space. The more the time goes by, the more it will be useful.

Sep 2015
England
After reading a book or two on the Waterloo campaign, I can't help but marvel at Napoleon's conduct. His plans were brilliant, yet unfortunately his staff failed him. For example, the major ones are the absence of an entire corps, which failed to appear at either Quatre Bras or Ligny, the latter of which would have enabled Napoleon to completely surround and annihilate the Prussian army. Or Grouchy, or leisurely followed the Prussians with a third of Napoleon's army.

Even during the battle, even with Ney's pointless mass cavalry charges against the British center unsupported by infantry, Wellington's line in that sector almost collapsed. The Prussians came just in time.

It's such a shame, considering Napoleon's quite brilliant plans along with his brilliant crossing into Belgium that surprised Wellington and Blucher.

Do you think Napoleon's generals are to blame ? Or was this Napoleon's fault ?