Napoleonic Wars: Which Side Do You Support?

?

• Coalition

• France and allies

Results are only viewable after voting.
Feb 2019
Serbia
Since we have such threads on the American Revolutionary War and the Hundred Years' War let's have one on the Napoleonic Wars as well.

Who do you support, the coalition or Napoleon's France, allies and satellites? Countries which have been forced to join Napoleon but weren't heavily bent on fighting for him such as Prussia from 1807 until 1812 count as part of the coalition. Satellites such as the Kingdom of Italy and the Confederation of the Rhine count as part of the French alliance.

Who do you support and why?

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
From a strictly Serb point of view, I have to give my vote for the Coallition. Napoleon advised the Porte to quickly stamp out the Serb uprising and even offered assistance in doing so. He also refused Karađorđe's proposal to ally the Serbs with France. And of course had his invasion of Russia not forced the Russians to turn their attention away from the Balkans, the First Serbian Uprising might have even been a success.

Feb 2016
Japan
Firstly - Napoleon was not a good guy. Great general but the cult that hero worships him annoy me.
Secondly - I’m British, and like Brunswick, Hanover, Austria and Bavaria. That’s 4-1 for the coalition there.

Apr 2017
Lemuria
I have a soft spot for the French, but I don't really care about the victors as long as I'm thoroughly entertained by the historical literature.

Last edited:

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Who do you support and why?
Even if sometimes I can get a bit nationalist while looking to the past, a feature that I try to avoid, why should we support any side while looking to the past? Supporting a side only enlarges our bias and doesn’t change the past.

It is like seeing a recorded football game, knowing who won, and still cheering when one side scores a goal. Or seeing a thriller for the 10th time and still waiting that someone that we know that is murdered doesn’t die in the movie. It is not rational and our look to the past, even with our bias, should be rational, influenced by the scientific spirit, and guided by the historical method.