Napoleonic Wars: Which Side Do You Support?

?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
... the rest of the revolutions have been nothing save massacres in defense of totalitarian systems... Yes I am a White.. A counter-revolutionary...
For the general, or younger reader: M is using the label "White" as the opposite of "Red", for Bolshevik.

Reactions: martin76

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
As a younger person, even in the years after finishing college training, my preference was for the Imperial French or more emotionally, for Napoleon himself.

The more that I have learned about the enlightened Crowned heads in Austria and Prussia and also about the development of politics and representation of the "middle" or commercial class in the UK from about George II's era, the clearer the excesses and pointless violence of the French terror and reaction (Bonaparte) became to me.

That there are intellectuals living today who still see a certain political "form to be perfected" in the events of the 1790s France is frankly terrifying to me.

(And it is surely to the discredit of Jefferson and the early American populists that they chose the French Revolution as a "hill to die on" in the power struggle with the Hamilton faction at the time.)

Reactions: Mastersonmcvoidson

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
From a strictly Serb point of view, I have to give my vote for the Coallition. Napoleon advised the Porte to quickly stamp out the Serb uprising and even offered assistance in doing so. He also refused Karađorđe's proposal to ally the Serbs with France. And of course had his invasion of Russia not forced the Russians to turn their attention away from the Balkans, the First Serbian Uprising might have even been a success.
The few (six pounder?) guns that Serbian rebels used in '05, '06 were perhaps sourced from the Krajina? Smuggled out of location to the East?

I had an answer on this topic from another Serbian member a while ago but curious what your sources do suggest.

Oct 2018
New Jersey
Since we have such threads on the American Revolutionary War and the Hundred Years' War let's have one on the Napoleonic Wars as well.

Who do you support, the coalition or Napoleon's France, allies and satellites? Countries which have been forced to join Napoleon but weren't heavily bent on fighting for him such as Prussia from 1807 until 1812 count as part of the coalition. Satellites such as the Kingdom of Italy and the Confederation of the Rhine count as part of the French alliance.

Who do you support and why?
Coalition.

May 2018
Michigan
In a contemporary sense, I don't really care: it happened 200 years ago.

However, were I alive in 1794 and of a similar socio-economic background, I'd probably support Great Britain throughout the war and be against Napoleon after 1803. Prior to that, I'd be open to peace between Britain and France that doesn't necessarily exclude Napoleon from power. However, after taking absolute power, forming a secret police, silencing the press, assassinations, the invasion of Russia and the theft of Spain, it would be difficult for me to support a peace that didn't involve Napoleon being precluded from holding any position of significance.

Why would French supremacy be so undesirable? Because we know how the French treat conquered or occupied territories: they rape, pillage and murder in the name of "foraging." Quite fitting that Napoleon's nemesis had the exact opposite reputation regarding the conduct of his troops toward civilians.

Dec 2017
Regnum Teutonicum
Can someone who voted for "France an allies" instead for the Allies, tell me why anyone would vote for the french Hitler without genocide? I don't understand it.
Revolutionary France and their allies (I look at you Denmark-Norway, Poland, United States of America, Cherokee, Choctaw and Lower Creek) plunged the world into a world war, the plundering of cultural and natural treasures is only comparable to Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union, massacred thousands of innocent people, invaded more countries than Nazi Germany, tried to conquer the world, scorched earth tactics, spreading terror, like communism it may have come from the wish to help the people. but the example of the Vendee shows, it was evil from the start. Even if you are French, it must be disgusting how Napoleon sacrificed his people, used them like tools and even the contempoaries noted how he ignored the wounded soldiers, as he had no interest in them any more.

Lord Oda Nobunaga

Ad Honorem
Jan 2015
Ontario, Canada
You realize that the regimes of the European monarchies were equally as repressive if not more so?
I mean anyone who voted for the Coalition also voted for serfdom and the Russian police state. Prussia wasn't much better and Austria was only a slight improvement over Prussia.

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
Exactly. As one of the leaders of the German reactionaries who crushed the liberal revolution of 1848 commented, when told the newly assembled parliament had voted in favour of adopting these thing called "human rights":
"Humanity begins with the Baron."

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
The few (six pounder?) guns that Serbian rebels used in '05, '06 were perhaps sourced from the Krajina? Smuggled out of location to the East?

I had an answer on this topic from another Serbian member a while ago but curious what your sources do suggest.
Oružje Online | Istorija - Naoružanje - Vojska
I find this is an OK article. It is in Serbian though. It is true that artillery was smuggled into Serbia.

You realize that the regimes of the European monarchies were equally as repressive if not more so?
I mean anyone who voted for the Coalition also voted for serfdom and the Russian police state. Prussia wasn't much better and Austria was only a slight improvement over Prussia.
Maybe, but as I said, I voted from a Serb perspective and Napoleon's victory would have only brought trouble to the Serbs.

Feb 2019
Serbia
french Hitler without genocide
Oh, the Napoleon-Hitler comparison... I have no comment.

invaded more countries than Nazi Germany
For the amount of countries they took, they did invade more than Hitler but this also takes into account the tiny HRE and Italian states, not disputing that they did invade but this needs further elaboration.

tried to conquer the world
Really? When did Napoleon state he wanted to conquer the entire world?

scorched earth tactics
How is this bad? It's a legitimate strategy used to great effect both by Wellington and the Russians, so the French were hardly the only ones to use it if they used it.