Napoleon's Marshals

Jan 2014
Virginia
Which of Napoleon's marshals was the best general? Personally, I would say Davout. His victory at Auerstadt was one of the most impressive battles of the Napoleonic Wars. According to legend, Napoleon initially didn't believe Davout's report, saying to Davout's messenger "Your marshal saw double today" (referring to the number of enemy troops).

Nemowork

Ad Honorem
Jan 2011
South of the barcodes
Marshals Ney and Murat.

Well they were the best for us, i'm not sure if they were so good for the French side :D:D

Mangekyou

Ad Honorem
Jan 2010
UK
Davout and Suchet.

I also think Pierre Augereau was very skilled, and is underrated compared to other names.

Space Shark

Ad Honorem
Mar 2012
Redneck Country, AKA Texas
Davout and Murat come to mind. If we looked from a non-military perspective, Bernadotte's descendants still rule Sweden to this day.

Kevinmeath

Ad Honoris
May 2011
Navan, Ireland
After reading books about the retreat in Russia I always had a soft spot for Ney despite his failings in later campaigns.

Feb 2014
Texas
Davout and Suchet.

I also think Pierre Augereau was very skilled, and is underrated compared to other names.

Completely agree. In Davout's assignments alone we see the Emperor's appreciation. He remains immortal for Auerstadt alone (as do his subordinates, afaic on that field). And I would also say Suchet is not as well appreciated, as is that old pirate Augereau.:)

He had a hard day at Eylau but he was as brave as they came on that day.

Same for Louis Desaix.

He had some remarkable men working for him that's for sure.

Some better in Generalship than others. Lannes and Ney were remarkable examples of battlefield courage. Berthier was also succesful early,imo, and was as good a COS as any in the era.