Native Americans - bloodthirsty savages or peaceful tribes?

Feb 2011
Perambulating in St James' Park
The brave pilgrim forefathers set off from Plymouth to start a new life in the new world, a virgin territory untouched by European hand, and when they finally got there they arrived in a place called Plymouth - what are the chances of that eh?

The myth goes that the friendly natives helped the English settlers to survive the winter by giving them food and that's where we get Thanksgiving. However, there's also evidence to suggest that some tribes were more savage with ritualised torture being a curious pastime.

More modern stories focus on the fearsome Apache and Comanche warriors scalping their prisoners and generally being vicious. Certain sources from the 19th C also allude to those tribes promoting toughness over weakness, to the point where those who dominate others earn their place in tribal society.

Lately though it seems a modern tapestry has thrown traditional views out the window:

'Racist' Native American tapestry 'should not be displayed' - BBC News

Do people have any reason to be offended?

"A British tapestry depicting Native Americans as "subhuman, warlike savages" should not be put on public show, campaigners say.
The 267ft (81m) New World Tapestry perpetuates a "racist tradition", the National Congress of American Indians (NCAI) said.
But designer Tom Mor said the claims were "rubbish".
The work, depicting North American colonisation between 1583 and 1642, may feature in an upcoming anniversary."

Feb 2016
Japan
I'd not term them savages. Civilized men are still savage.
The Indians were far from peaceful, they were bloodthirsty too.
They were, like everyone else, capable of great kindness and mercy and horrific brutality.

Mar 2010
Well they did invite them into there homes, feed them, celebrated with them. Then at a given signal they all rose up and massacred about 25% of them and burnt their settlement down. But they were forgiven and invited back a couple of years later only to do it all over again.

Moral of the story don't trust the Native Americans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_massacre_of_1622

I love how the hippy, lefto pinkos, claim that the Natives were peaceful fluffy bunnies who never hurt anyone, but then also boast about their warrior cultures. Does anyone else see the problem here.

Aug 2016
USA
I feel like the tapestry should continue to be exhibited. It's just another part of history, like anything else. I believe in freedom of expression.

I don't agree that people have reason to be offended. We cannot have a society where no-one is made fun of. We should not have a society where only a few are made fun of. All races, cultures, genders, religions, ideologies, etc. should be made fun of more or less equally.

Feb 2011
Perambulating in St James' Park
The more important thing is - should facts be covered up or forgotten about just because they offend people?

It's whitewashing on par with the worst totalitarian governments imho.

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
Well they did invite them into there homes, feed them, celebrated with them. Then at a given signal they all rose up and massacred about 25% of them and burnt their settlement down. But they were forgiven and invited back a couple of years later only to do it all over again.

Moral of the story don't trust the Native Americans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_massacre_of_1622

I love how the hippy, lefto pinkos, claim that the Natives were peaceful fluffy bunnies who never hurt anyone, but then also boast about their warrior cultures. Does anyone else see the problem here.
There's another side to that story, present in your own link:

At first, the natives were glad to trade provisions to the colonists for metal tools, but by 1609 the English governor, John Smith, had begun to send in raiding parties to demand food. This earned the colonists a bad reputation among the Native Americans and precipitated conflict. They isolated the Native Americans, burned down houses, and stole their food supplies.