Native-Americans fighting in early-modern Europe

May 2019
Earth
This caught me completely off-guard:

In Brazil the Dutch made allies among local Indian tribes who rose against Portuguese rule ... A number of Indians were brought to Holland to learn the language so they could act as interpreters. Others sailed to Europe to be soldiers, serving as scouts in the States' field army; the last one retired some time around 1660.
source: page 40, 'Dutch Armies of the 80 Years' War 1568-1648, Vol. 1' by Bouko de Groot, Osprey Publishing, 2017.

I knew that various European colonial nations made use of indigenous allies in the Americas, but I had never heard of Native-Americans going to fight on European battlefields. Does anyone have more info on these indigenous Brazilians who fought with the Dutch in Europe? Were there any other European countries that used Native-American soldiers in Europe during the early-modern era?

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
You ask strange questions. The Europeans had advantages in technology etc., and would use native allies and colonial troops in different continents. I am not sure if many colonial troops were used in Europe until the 20th century. In WWI and WWII, the British used large numbers of Indian troops, but they were mostly deployed in Asia and Africa, where presumably they would be more familiar with the environment.

M9Powell

Ad Honorem
Oct 2014
appalacian Mtns
You ask strange questions. The Europeans had advantages in technology etc., and would use native allies and colonial troops in different continents. I am not sure if many colonial troops were used in Europe until the 20th century. In WWI and WWII, the British used large numbers of Indian troops, but they were mostly deployed in Asia and Africa, where presumably they would be more familiar with the environment.
Wrong kind of Indians.

Reactions: hyuzu

johnincornwall

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Cornwall
I think very large numbers of troops from India (to avoid confusion) were employed in France in the trenches. I don't think the climate or the conditions did them much good.

May 2019
Earth
I think very large numbers of troops from India (to avoid confusion) were employed in France in the trenches. I don't think the climate or the conditions did them much good.
De Groot's book mentions that Tupi allies of the Dutch were sent to fight with the Dutch WIC in Angola. Brazil and Angola both have tropical zones, so I can sort of see the reasoning there. But the Tupi (or any other indigenous Brazilians) fighting in Europe seemed odd to me.