Nazis and religion.

Jan 2019
Croatia
I found many sources that say that a lot of high ranking nazi officials and german generals and officers were religious and while still Hitlers religious views are debated scientists think he was probably a anti-christians and atheist.He had many criticism of christian church.But then many of catholic bishops,kardinals and even pope collabrated with fascist regimes.
Whats your opinion on the topic?

god and fascists - Google Search:

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
I found many sources that say that a lot of high ranking nazi officials and german generals and officers were religious and while still Hitlers religious views are debated scientists think he was probably a anti-christians and atheist.He had many criticism of christian church.But then many of catholic bishops,kardinals and even pope collabrated with fascist regimes.
Whats your opinion on the topic?

god and fascists - Google Search:
To

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
I meant to write that the top Nazi leaders did not seem.particularly religious to me. They may have been into occult and other things, but not tradition religions, and even their harkening back to ancient German pagan religions really was more part of their national agenda than religious in motivation.

Hitler was not particularly religion, and if you read MeIn Kampf, as long as Hitler thought of Jews as just a religious group he did not have a big problem with them. Himmler too had abandoned his Catholic upbringing by the time he became a leading Nazi. Religion was something the Nazi used to promote their agenda , not something they really believed in, at least among the top ranks of Nazis who set the Nazi agenda.

I know Himmler discouraged Christian belief in the SS as part of his driv3 to purge Germany of non Aryan influenced.

Last edited:
Apr 2018
India
Nazis actually wanted to create a religion (sort of) of their own. Many of their ceremonies appear quite proto religious. Many of their ceremonies, such as Beer Haal Putsch commemoration, initiation ceremonies at Wewelsburg etc were designed to give a.....lets just say borderline supernatural feeling. But it was more like a cult. And they neither got the chance nor the time to turn their cult into a working religion.

Probably someone like Robert Silverberg can write a novel on 'spiritual Nazis' in the 500th year of the Thousand Year Reich.

Jan 2019
Earth
Some of them promoted Paganism of Germanic origin.

Some chose Indian religions such as Hinduism and Buddhism and considered themselves Kshatriyas (warrior caste)

Some we're I guess hardcore athiests

Oct 2018
Bangalore,India
Very complex. From what I feel,they did try to make some equivalent to religion. Their ultra collectivist ideas and visions of the future suggest the same. While creation of a new religion isn't anything bad but good IMO,the intent counts.

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Lago Maggiore, Italy
The Catholic Church, historically, makes politics and to carry on it has always needed to find a way to cohabit with the secular power [regardless the nature of this power]. To cohabit with Fascism in Italy and Nazism in Germany was a political necessity for the Roman Church [and for the other churches in their territories, actually].

We should remind that the Pope had bad relations with the Italian Kingdom after the conquest of Rome and it was Mussolini to sign the treaty [Patti Lateranensi] between Italy and the Vatican State [which came to existence]. Fascists recognized the sovereignty of the Church ... it's difficult to think that they didn't obtain political support as counterparty ... and in fact we cannot sustain that the Catholic Church acted against the Fascist power.

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Lago Maggiore, Italy
About Nazism, I tend more to note that the elite of the party seemed to want to create a cult [or to recreate it from a legendary past] full of symbols and mysteries. And usually a fanatic ideology, sooner or later, begins to look like a religion ...

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
The relationship between organized religion and the Nazis was particularly difficult
the catholic had suffered under the Kirchenkampf from Hitler accession to power
he was a declared enemy of the Christian teachings
the Pope Pius XI issued an encyclical in German ( the first ever not to be written in Latin )
"Mit brennender sorge" .... with burning concern , was smuggled into Germany
it was read from the pulpit during mass on the same date ,
the day after the churches were raided and searched , priests arrested and printers closed

when the news started to filter of Aktion T4 , the involuntary execution of the "racially unfit "
the Munster Bishop protested publicly in his sermons against it and stated that the church would never keep silent about it
hundreds of German priests were arrested and send to Dachau concentration camp
the Catholic church was the ideological reference against the Nazi Darwinian outlook

Apr 2018
India
Some chose Indian religions such as Hinduism and Buddhism and considered themselves Kshatriyas (warrior caste)
Himmler especially. He always kept a German translation of Bhagwad Gita in his pocket and often quoted from it. He was especially fond of the portion where the dialogue between God Shri Krishna and Pandava warrior Arjun takes place. He used this piece as justification for, well, everything.

Different, even outstandingly crazy interpretations of Hindu mythological texts are nothing new since Hinduism gives absolute freedom for that. But this is the most abominable abuse of that freedom / miles away from the mark misinterpretation I have ever come across.

He also thought the SS as Khsatriyas (warrior castes) and hence killing for a divine purpose was okay for them. He was also a supporter of the Hindu caste system.

It is very difficult to think any Nazi was actually remotely Buddhist. The two ideologies are so astronomically polar apart. However I read somewhere that Himmler was fond of Hermann Hesse's 'Siddhartha'.

One confused chap.