Need a bit of help.

For one, I need help with the Roman Campaign of Gaul. I am making a mod for a game called Rise and Fall... (I really hope this doesn't make me a target for flame... >.>) Now, I just need someone to tell me keypoints and details about key battles. These are the battles that I really need, as they will be the key ones in the campaign.

Battle of the Arar, Battle of Bibracte, Battle of Vosges, Battle of the Axona, Battle of the Sabis, Battle of Gergovia, Battle of Alesia.

Thank you for all of your help. :D

Commander

Historum Emeritas
Jun 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Now I can not help you with this... but I do know there are a handful of people here that are likely experts on your subject. If you don't get a reply tonight, then check back tomorrow as quite a few people here are in Europe and probably sleeping right now :)

Lord_Cronus

Historum Emeritas
Jun 2006
Georgia
Alesia was where Caesar built a "fort" around the city and starved the inhabitants. When he recieved word that Celtic cavalry was coming to the aid of Vercengetorics (spelling) he constructed a second "for" around the first to protect his men. The defenders of Alesia decided to send their women and children out of the city in hope the Romans would take care of them and dwindle away their own supplies. Caesar refused and they starved to death outside the town. The Celts had no choice but to surrender.

For Alesia, Ben, Vercintegorix sent out men to try and call for a big huge army. The army came, but somehow, Caesar was able to hold off on both sides, repelling the huge relief army. After that, Vercintegorix realized that he was doomed and therefore knew he had to surrender.

Lord_Cronus

Historum Emeritas
Jun 2006
Georgia
MafiaMaster said:
For Alesia, Ben, Vercintegorix sent out men to try and call for a big huge army. The army came, but somehow, Caesar was able to hold off on both sides, repelling the huge relief army. After that, Vercintegorix realized that he was doomed and therefore knew he had to surrender.
There you go stealin' my glory. Jeeze. J/K Yeah it was a pretty nasty fight, the Romans nearly gave way, but were able to fend the enemy off. It was one of Caesar's greatest victories.

Belisarius

Forum Staff
Jun 2006
U.K.
Fishystick said:
For one, I need help with the Roman Campaign of Gaul. I am making a mod for a game called Rise and Fall... (I really hope this doesn't make me a target for flame... >.>) Now, I just need someone to tell me keypoints and details about key battles. These are the battles that I really need, as they will be the key ones in the campaign.

Battle of the Arar, Battle of Bibracte, Battle of Vosges, Battle of the Axona, Battle of the Sabis, Battle of Gergovia, Battle of Alesia.

Thank you for all of your help. :D
Arar, June 58BCE
Ceasar [34,000] vs Helvetian migrants [386,000, of whome about 100,000 were warriors] surprise attack while Helvetians were crossing the river. Ceasar killed about 30,000 warriors left on the "wrong" side of the river.

Bibracte, July 58BCE
Helvetians turned on Caesar's persuing army. Roughly 30,000 Romans, 24,000 Gallic auxilliaries v about 70,000 Helvetii. Romans won, Helvetii surrendered.

Vosges? Not heard of that one, unless you mean his campaign against Ariovistus. The only battle here had Caesar 50,000 v 75,000 Germans.
Caesar attacked, Germans were routed and retreated across the Rhine.

Axona 57BCE
Large force of Belgae [75,000-100,000] tried to stop Caesar along the River Aisne [Axona]. Failed.

Sabis 57BCE
Caesar ambushed by 75,000 Belgae. Could have been another Teutobergerwald, but Caesar rallied his men and won this one.

Gerovia 52BCE
Caesar lost this one! Tried an assault on the town before he was ready, and was repulsed. Lack of supplies forced him to retreat.

Hope that helps. Not very detailed as the above was taken from my old school notes from my Latin class. We studied Caesar's Gallic wars the hard way. In the original Latin :)

Thank you!

Hmm. A loss would be difficult to add into the game. >.> And yes, I did know about Vosges being against germans. I just didn't know the details. :D

But I also need more informed details, like how Ceasar won or loss, and how his units took advantage of the field.

Similar History Discussions