Need Help Translating Kanji on WWII Japanese Flag

Mar 2011
Midwest
I'm trying to translate the text on this WWII era Japanese flag. I can read a little Chinese, but my skill set goes down hill when handwritten characters are involved. Of course I'm handicapped by not knowing Japanese either. I know the very top characters are wishing for continued luck in war. I believe the left side says something about the person's military unit (4th division?). Thanks in advance for anyone who replies.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img633/6311/BJpm5r.jpg

heylouis

Ad Honorem
Apr 2013
China
technically, not Kanji, just chinese characters

always win in wars

bottom
place righteousness above family loyalty

right
the edge one : emperor's glories spread to the whole world like the sun shines the earth
inner one: national honor fills the world like a light

left, purpose of the writing: congratulations to join the national guard of fujinomiya(as a good guard, or wish him to be a good guard)
from 中村楼吉(leader of the forth sub-regiment) to 吉泽二郎
don't know how to spell the names in english/ or in japanese

read it from top to down and right to left

Last edited:
Dec 2011

always win in wars

bottom

right
the edge one : emperor's glories spread to the whole world like the sun shines the earth

left, purpose of the writing: congratulations to join the national guard of fujinomiya(as a good guard, or wish him to be a good guard)

吉泽二郎 is Yoshizawa Jirô, 泽 here is written 澤, or 沢 in today's Japanese names. 中村楼吉 is a bit more tricky. It might probably be Nakamura Rôkichi. I couldn't find any mention of such a name in any lists, but I found a few guys from the 19th century with a first name of the same pronounciation - "Rôkichi" - so this might be it.

heylouis

Ad Honorem
Apr 2013
China
吉泽二郎 is Yoshizawa Jirô, 泽 here is written 澤, or 沢 in today's Japanese names. 中村楼吉 is a bit more tricky. It might probably be Nakamura Rôkichi. I couldn't find any mention of such a name in any lists, but I found a few guys from the 19th century with a first name of the same pronounciation - "Rôkichi" - so this might be it.
thx :)

Dec 2011
I'm trying to translate the text on this WWII era Japanese flag. I can read a little Chinese, but my skill set goes down hill when handwritten characters are involved. Of course I'm handicapped by not knowing Japanese either. I know the very top characters are wishing for continued luck in war. I believe the left side says something about the person's military unit (4th division?). Thanks in advance for anyone who replies.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img633/6311/BJpm5r.jpg
May I ask where you got that flag from and whether you translating what is written on it is part of a greater project?

Mar 2011
Midwest

always win in wars

bottom

right

Thank you very much. I have a minor in Chinese that I completed in 2012, but I focused heavily on my anthropology major (with an emphasis on primate behavior and evolution) during the latter part of my collegiate career. My reading skills went down hill quickly.

May I ask where you got that flag from and whether you translating what is written on it is part of a greater project?
It's not for a larger project, unfortunately. I work for an online estate sale auction company. I was asked to translate the text by a co-worker. My Chinese is not that great, but I can normally figure out printed text. I will definitely give all the credit to you guys.

Dec 2011
It's not for a larger project, unfortunately. I work for an online estate sale auction company. I was asked to translate the text by a co-worker. My Chinese is not that great, but I can normally figure out printed text. I will definitely give all the credit to you guys.
I was just curious whether you did research on Japanese history in WWII and whether you had other "stuff" because I found it interesting. I wasn't trying to get credit or anything :lol:

Mar 2011
Midwest
I was just curious whether you did research on Japanese history in WWII and whether you had other "stuff" because I found it interesting. I wasn't trying to get credit or anything :lol:
I do have an interest in WWII, but my personal research focuses more on the the historical and religious origins of supernatural elements from Chinese fiction.