Need help with a few historical figures!

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
I'm writing my bachelor paper and am having trouble finding certain people's birth- and deathyears. Does anyone by chance know them or knows where to find them?

I'm having trouble with the following people:
- Bouquois, a major in the French army, part of an allied commission to the Kingdom of SHS and Austria in January/February 1919.
- Johann (Hans) Schmiderer, mayor of Maribor (Marburg a. d. Drau) from 1902 (I think) until 1919.
- Anton Holik, an oberst in the Austrian-Hungarian army, station commander of Maribor until autumn 1918.
- Vilko Pfeifer, Slovene government commissioner for Maribor from January 2nd 1919 onwards.

I would be very thankful for any clue.

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
I managed to find the lifespan for Pfeifer, but I'd still be very thankful if anyone could provide a lead on any of the other three.

Jul 2009
In the absence of on-line information, I would suggest public historical archives near you. My assumption is that the subject of your paper will be related to the end of Austria-Hungary in Slovene territory(?).

Try to locate what you need in whatever archives there are in Slovenia. Obviously I have no clue as to what may have been removed after the Yugo Kgdm was established.

One problem with the History of A-H is that records, official documents, personal papers and so on wound up all over the place after the empire ceased to be. It is probably similar with the demise of Yugoslavia. I doubt you are going to go to Vienna or Belgrade to research your BA paper. You can worry about that with foundation grants to do your PhD. :)

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
In the absence of on-line information, I would suggest public historical archives near you. My assumption is that the subject of your paper will be related to the end of Austria-Hungary in Slovene territory(?).

Try to locate what you need in whatever archives there are in Slovenia. Obviously I have no clue as to what may have been removed after the Yugo Kgdm was established.

One problem with the History of A-H is that records, official documents, personal papers and so on wound up all over the place after the empire ceased to be. It is probably similar with the demise of Yugoslavia. I doubt you are going to go to Vienna or Belgrade to research your BA paper. You can worry about that with foundation grants to do your PhD. :)
Thanks for your reply. You are right, it is connected to the period right after the end of ww1. To be more precise, I'm comparing the reactions of German Austrian, German Lower Styrian and Slovene newspapers about a signifficant event in Maribor in January 1919. In German (ironically).

The archives are the obvious answer, I guess, but I was still hoping for an easier way. Now, like you say, a major problem can be where to find the information in the first place. For Holik I'd probably need to go to Vienna, I might find something about Schmiderer in Maribor (although, who knows?), with Bouquois it gets even worse. I don't even know his first name! In the end, it won't matter if I don't find the dates, but it'd be nice to include them. With one week left until I have to file the first version it's a bit late now. Now comes the obligatory excuse how I work better under preassure and all that. As for a PhD, I doubt I'll be doing one.

Jul 2009
One week isn't much time. Some archival material has been digitized, so in the case of the French major cross-referencing his last name and 1919/Vienna might get something. I don't know about newspaper archives there, but you might try.

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
Schmiderer has a wiki page with his birth and death years too.Ivan Schmiderer - Wikipedija, prosta enciklopedija

About Anton Holik, i wonder if he is the same Anton Holick mentioned in Ranglisten and Militar Schematismus Hits (holick) | Library | Hungaricana as colonel in Peterwardeiner Inf. reg. 70.
Ranglisten des Kaiserlich und Königlichen Heeres 1916 (Wien, 1916) | Library | Hungaricana

Unfortunetly no birth year is mentioned in his case there.

But I'm not certain at all it is the same person or not :(

For the French dude, I haven't found anything, I'm not sure if the spelling is correct?

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
Schmiderer has a wiki page with his birth and death years too.Ivan Schmiderer - Wikipedija, prosta enciklopedija

About Anton Holik, i wonder if he is the same Anton Holick mentioned in Ranglisten and Militar Schematismus Hits (holick) | Library | Hungaricana as colonel in Peterwardeiner Inf. reg. 70.
Ranglisten des Kaiserlich und Königlichen Heeres 1916 (Wien, 1916) | Library | Hungaricana

Unfortunetly no birth year is mentioned in his case there.

But I'm not certain at all it is the same person or not :(

For the French dude, I haven't found anything, I'm not sure if the spelling is correct?
Wow, thanks! Someone must have updated the wiki page within the last week or so as I checked many times before and some of the data wasn't stated.

Holik was the Stationskommandant in Maribor in 1918, no idea what he was doing before that though as he is only mentioned in connection with major Rudolf Maister refusing his points at a meeting about Maribor being part of German Austria.

The only mentioning of the French dude I found was in a Slovene newspaper article some time after the shooting of January 27th and Mickl's attack on Bad Radkersburg in the first week of February. Bouquois visited Maribor as part of a French mission to the area, trying to get to know more about the ethnic sentiment and military situation there. They could very well have misspelled his surname, while his first name isn't mentioned once.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Similar History Discussions