Need Revolutionary War help

Aug 2006
PA
Hello, I have a question concerning the Revolutionary War if anyone can answer it or lead me in the right direction. I am trying to find information on Burgoyne's troops who were either captured or surrendered at Saratoga. A family history has our ancestor fighting with / in Burgoyne's troops and his brother who was already in America fighting for the US. It is said that the American brother was part of a Reg. that captured the Reg. of the "brit" side brother. Both men were born in Ireland. After this supposed capture the brother who was with Burgoyne was not shipped back and settled in Pennsylvania as did other brothers and relatives. I have been trying to find a way to verify these things. I am told there probably are not rosters of Burgoyne's troops. Also the US census available starts in 1790. So between 1777 and 1790 I am trying to account for their whereabouts. Anyone have any ideas?

Commander

Historum Emeritas
Jun 2006
Jacksonville, FL
I notice you live in PA, have you tried going to any local colleges Upenn or Penn State or Pittsburgh and contacting the history department? You never know if grad/doctoral students might need research projects for a class... they may be willing to help. They may also have an American History Professor who would be willing to help.

Good luck with your search, geneology is a tough study!

Aug 2006
PA
Burgoyne's armies

I did contact a History proffessor from Slippery Rock college, but he gave me some vague reference to a book I can't get access to and all the other colleges who I contacted apparently are too busy to answer. I am on several rootsweb lists and haven't had any luck so far. My email address is Nae80Queen@aol.com if anyone can send me links or references to look for resources there. I'm not to ssharp with the comp.... :oops: but, thanks for the advice! :D I wasn't able to find the yahoo group mentioned.
Renee

Aug 2006
PA
oh that would be excellent! I know Burgoyne switched of command of several trops because he kept going back to Britian and coming back. So All the info I can find on ALL the troops there would be great!

Similar History Discussions