Nefertiti, the Great Royal Wife of the Amarna Period

Apr 2019
UK
Getting off-topic a bit but the story of the lepers may relate to this, which is a story apparently originating with Metheno, who was writing centuries after the fact -

Osarseph - Wikipedia

Where the story may have some kind of relationship to the Amarna period is Amenhotep III's possible battle with disease or plague, which is one interpretation of him installing so many statues of Sekhmet (over 600). There is also the possibility of Egyptians spreading plague to Hatti after the reign of Tutankhamun. However neither directly relates to the story, or any kind of indication that Amarna kings expelled lepers or other diseased people.

It is speculated that some kind of plague greatly impacted on the Egyptian royal family in the late Amarna period, accounting for the apparent disappearance of the younger princesses from the historical record. However, it is also possible that once Tut was reigning they were just like any number of women in the wider royal household, no longer public figures in the way they were during their father's reign. This would be consistent with many other examples of princesses we hear nothing more about once one of their brothers became king - the exceptions of course being the ones that became queens. We know nothing about the lives of the named princesses of Amenhotep III and Tiye (Sitamun, Nebetah, Isis etc) once their brother was king - we can't assume they just died - but their status will have been somewhat diminished.

Nov 2019
Europe
Getting off-topic a bit but the story of the lepers may relate to this, which is a story apparently originating with Metheno, who was writing centuries after the fact -
What is your opinion of what is written here? Thank you

In the Memphite tomb of Mes, he was referred to as "the enemy of Akhetaten". Mes lived late in the reign of Ramesses II. That's why, in much later times, he came to be referred to as the ugly king "Bocchoris" or "pA xrw"--the way the name is written in the tomb. [Not to be confused with a different "Bocchoris" or King Bakenrenef of a later dynasty.] The earlier Bocchoris really was associated with an exodus or expulsion. Manetho, himself, mentions a revolt by people persecuted by a ruler called "Amenophis".
i find it quite hard to understand. I thought there was only 1 pharaoh during the time of Ramesses II, but apparently there was 2? I’m quite confused.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
What is your opinion of what is written here? Thank you

i find it quite hard to understand. I thought there was only 1 pharaoh during the time of Ramesses II, but apparently there was 2? I’m quite confused.
Here we are in the field of interpretation. Ramses was Monarch. Period. If later authors called someone else "king" is irrelevant. If we follow this path of research we could think that the Exodus had totally invented ...

This is why now I'm following a well different path. In late December I will be at Metropolitan Museum [New York] to check some pieces. Actually I was going to be there about the Amarna period, but I've noted in MET's collection something which could be relevant also about the supposed "Exodus". I'm just an amateur researcher, so may be I will just enjoy the MET and I will have fun in Manhattan. Anyway, you know, it will be interesting.

Mar 2019
Peterborough, Ontario Canada
This is why now I'm following a well different path. In late December I will be at Metropolitan Museum [New York] to check some pieces. Actually I was going to be there about the Amarna period, but I've noted in MET's collection something which could be relevant also about the supposed "Exodus". I'm just an amateur researcher, so may be I will just enjoy the MET and I will have fun in Manhattan. Anyway, you know, it will be interesting.
You should also check out the Amarna collection at the Brooklyn Museum during your holiday:

Apr 2019
UK
Between Brooklyn and the Met there are a good number of shabti of Akhenaten - doubtless in other museums across the world. It is interesting that we may have more for this king except perhaps Tut.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
You should also check out the Amarna collection at the Brooklyn Museum during your holiday:

Thanks. I was not thinking to the Brooklyn Museum. I will be in Wall Street, Lower Manhattan [I guess the travel agency has been influenced by the fact that I'm a manager ... but it's ok, Manhattan is just a bit more expensive that central London where I was last year].

These details apart, I've got some expectations regarding MET's collections. As in the British Museum, being able to read hieroglyphics makes the difference. I'm going to buy [MET is not free as the British Museum] the visit to the Ancient Egyptian collection as a whole [you know Americans ... if you pay ...].

Now I have to check about the Brooklyn museum. I'm adding it to my list.