Nefertiti, the Great Royal Wife of the Amarna Period

Angelica

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Angel City
Miss Universe looks a lot like the bust of Nefertiti. I agree wth the poster she has European features. It always amaze me how black is often written out of history or fashion in Euro style. Obviously the story tellers were white and wrote much of the historical writings. I get that however, when the story line or image is proven controversial then in such case it warrants another look or perhaps revision. It seems blacks are always misrepresented in history. I watched the documentary of Nefertiti and from what was said she was a modern woman before her time.

Apr 2019
UK
Going back to Nefertiti's status and identity again, I have come to the conclusion that her probable assumption of kingly titles as Neferneferuaten actually has some precedence if she were a daughter of Amenhotep III.

Firstly, like Hatchepsut, if Smenkhkare was a young male, as was Tuthmose III, Neferneferuaten as king is valid if she were the only remaining senior royal woman with experience to rule. In this scenario Smenkhkare needed her to effectively run the country (effective for her husband being one of the epithets of Neferneferuaten). Joint kings - Hatchepsut and Tuthmose III - had existed before and only 1 set of regnal years was used.

So, it is my belief that Nefertiti exercised power in a similar way to Hatchepsut, but without the backing of Amun, and instead legitimising her rule by way of the Aten and her relationship to Akhenaten.

Ayrton

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Bendigo
Going back to Nefertiti's status and identity again, I have come to the conclusion that her probable assumption of kingly titles as Neferneferuaten actually has some precedence if she were a daughter of Amenhotep III.

Firstly, like Hatchepsut, if Smenkhkare was a young male, as was Tuthmose III, Neferneferuaten as king is valid if she were the only remaining senior royal woman with experience to rule. In this scenario Smenkhkare needed her to effectively run the country (effective for her husband being one of the epithets of Neferneferuaten). Joint kings - Hatchepsut and Tuthmose III - had existed before and only 1 set of regnal years was used.

So, it is my belief that Nefertiti exercised power in a similar way to Hatchepsut, but without the backing of Amun, and instead legitimising her rule by way of the Aten and her relationship to Akhenaten.
If Nefertiti ruled as Ankhkheperure Neferneferuaten, it seems reasonable she had a right to rule as an Heiress of the Royal bloodline. But as a commoner, Akhenaten might have made her his co-ruler. As a commoner, though, and a woman, it is hard to imagine she accumulated enough personal power to rule alone without her husband alive. Regent, yes, of course, but not as pharaoh herself. I still think, btw, it was more than likely she was Smenkhkare, but only for a short time. It did not go as planned for her.