Nepotism in the US

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
nepotism
/ˈnɛpətɪz(ə)m/
noun

the practice among those with power or influence of favouring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs.

The current university scandal (whereby wealthy parents paid essentially bribes to a fixer to get their not so deserving kids admitted) is perhaps a good time to reflect on nepotism in the US.... Its paradoxical in the sense that a society which advertise values such as "work" , "self made man", "meritocracy" is caught red handed doing exactly the opposite...

In politics we have of course the Kennedys... We have the Bushes.. We have the Clintons (what qualitifcation did Hillary really have to be sec of state and later prez candidate other than having been the wife of Bill Clinton ?).. There are indications that Michelle Obama is being pushed towards responsibilities of some sort

In Hollywood sons and daughters of famous actors who get fast track access to the movie industry are too numerous to count

In business, well.,.... there are generations of the wealthy and powerful

The only are it seems where it does not work is ... sports....... since one needs to actually perform at top level

Why is american society so acceptant of nepotism ?

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
If you want we could discuss nepotism as social phenomenon in general [without actual references], otherwise, as underlined above, the debate has to be limited [since nepotism is impossible to be disengaged from politics] to what happened before of 1991.

Following this editor line, I would pay a bit of attention to the history of other countries. Usually, when a social phenomenon is to be evaluated, it's better to compare the situation in a group of countries, not just to observe what happens in one country. And doing this, I would remind the Italian First Republic, when nepotism affected almost the whole society and in a well deep way. Historically in Italy the academic world has been the environment where nepotism was a real plague, already in the Kingdom, but in the Republic things became even worse. In Italy it was almost impossible to become professor in a university without being the son, or a relative [or a good friend of a relative ...] of a professor who worked in that university!

I do doubt that an other Western country could have beaten Italy about nepotism ...

Iraq Bruin

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
DC
I thought you were talking about Jordi Cruyff :zany: ( but you excluded sports)

American society puts emphasis on merit but finds every other way to tell you why someone's merit "was impacted negatively", thus ignored.

The only merit based system that works in the USA is immigrants success stories since they come into the country thinking that is what it is about, they try to teach their children that part but then society and school give the kids every cop-out it can despite the parents' example and teachings.

Merit is the antithesis of privilege and class warfare , both circumvent it at every opportunity they can.

Just look at the opposition to the "point based" immigration system proposal in the USA, even immigration is about "family" not about "Merit" , you can call it government sponsored nepotism.

As to why it is accepted, everybody wants to do well by their kin most of the time; I wonder if businesses succeed if nepotism was rife in their ranks.

Nepotism in Iraq is the law above all laws, just in case you were wondering, it is who you know/relate-to and who sent you.

Also, think about academics for a second, a college wants a very sought after professor, they would have to find the spouse a job for that professor to move to them ( I have seen it in the USA and Germany)

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
I thought you were talking about Jordi Cruyff :zany: ( but you excluded sports)
Nah, I dont exclude sports... But it seems nepotism does not work in areas where there are objective measures of performance (e.g. how fast you run, how high you jump etc..).... rarely are sons and daughters of great sportsmen , great at the same sport...... Normally you'd expect a similarly low number in other disciplines but its not the case... Notably Hollywood seems to be rife with sons and daugthers of the famous...

perhaps a striking example is this movie will Will Smith AND his son as the main cast....

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
If you want we could discuss nepotism as social phenomenon in general [without actual references], otherwise, as underlined above, the debate has to be limited [since nepotism is impossible to be disengaged from politics] to what happened before of 1991.

Following this editor line, I would pay a bit of attention to the history of other countries. Usually, when a social phenomenon is to be evaluated, it's better to compare the situation in a group of countries, not just to observe what happens in one country. And doing this, I would remind the Italian First Republic, when nepotism affected almost the whole society and in a well deep way. Historically in Italy the academic world has been the environment where nepotism was a real plague, already in the Kingdom, but in the Republic things became even worse. In Italy it was almost impossible to become professor in a university without being the son, or a relative [or a good friend of a relative ...] of a professor who worked in that university!

I do doubt that an other Western country could have beaten Italy about nepotism ...
I disagree that nepotism cannot be dissociated from politics

Again the prime example is those Hollywood actors peddling their sons and daughters.... This is not politics