Nepotism in the US

Iraq Bruin

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
DC
Its a trend in many countries... In some its political (governments need to show that the education system is a "success" by showing that more students get good grades and pass exams) , in others its business (success rate of students is a selling point for colleges... who wants to pay big money to go to a college where one will fail ?)....

In some places they want to do away with grades, all together (allegedly it traumatizes the poor students)
How do you hide a problem, by pretending it does not exist and making its' evaluation impossible.

Note that you tend to have a similar inflation in performance assessment of workers in companies that have trouble recruiting.... So almost everyone is rated "above average" in such companies , making one wonder what "average" means
I personally think that almost any non-merit based system is practically nepotism where there is an "in" group and "out" group

https://www.washingtonpost.com/resi...aws.com/public/WQQKUGHK6Y7GBAC63MMWOR43NI.png

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...y-above/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.ccc002f0cb24

antocya

Ad Honorem
May 2012
Iraq
The university bribery scheme is a scandal because college admissions is supposed to be about merit.

Hollywood is not about that at all. The way you look for one thing is a big factor in your success the way it wouldn’t be in other industries, at least to the same degree, and definitely not in college.

And if someone has the money to back a movie I think they can cast who they want. I don’t think the concept that nepotism isn’t supposed to happen in Hollywood really exists.

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
The university bribery scheme is a scandal because college admissions is supposed to be about merit.

Hollywood is not about that at all. The way you look for one thing is a big factor in your success the way it wouldn’t be in other industries, at least to the same degree, and definitely not in college.

And if someone has the money to back a movie I think they can cast who they want. I don’t think the concept that nepotism isn’t supposed to happen in Hollywood really exists.
The movie business is just a business...... If you accept nepotism there, why not elsewhere ? According to the same logic , is someone has the money to pay extra to get their idiot child to be accepted in a university, why not ? I mean universities in the US are just businesses....

Oct 2012
The movie business is just a business...... If you accept nepotism there, why not elsewhere ? According to the same logic , is someone has the money to pay extra to get their idiot child to be accepted in a university, why not ? I mean universities in the US are just businesses....
If you buy a bike for your son, but not for your neigbours kid, is that nepotism?

Apr 2018
Upland, Sweden
Isn't it possible for something to be meritocratic and nepotistic at the same time? Perhaps this idea that there is "deserved" and "undeserved" wealth/power/Influence is the most dangerous, I think. It seems to me that ALL power, money, fame etc must be treated with a certain bit of wariness - no matter the social origins of the person involved. If you are wealthy, famous or powerful you are essentally priviliged. It is as simple as that. The mature thing to do is to recognize this, and act accordingly, instead of still behaving as if you live in "the ghetto".

Surely the real value of "meritocracy" (merit according to whom? In what context?) to seems to be that the character of the person having power and influence is likely to be better, less corrupt, more in line with the real world if these people have faced some risks themselves. The exposure to risk is the real value in an elite I think, rather than "merit" - whatever that means.

In this regard the US seems in some ways less nepotistic than Europe. There is much greater mobility among the very rich than overhere, generally speaking. If you look att the top 500 richest Americans or top 500 American companies and compare them with the list in 1970 (for example) there will probably be greater differences than a corresponding list from a European country.

I think my country should start handing out an updated version of knighthoods and peerages again, with a set percentage of this aristocracy being stripped of their nobility once every x years, like a culling. That way you can ideally get the honesty, noblesse oblige and lack of moralizing of Old Money while still making the rich bastards work for it. Fantastic!

Besides, as anyone who's watched GoT knows: the only currency the good and beautiful really care about is honour and glory... Or should be anyway...

Last edited:

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
If you buy a bike for your son, but not for your neigbours kid, is that nepotism?
If bikes are handed out based on merit, and you bribe the authorities so that your son can get one (meaning someone else will NOT get one) then yes.... Otherwise I dont see what parallel you are trying to make

Apr 2018
Upland, Sweden
Its rather difficult to have both at the same time... For when you use nepotism its (usually) because the beneficiary does not have sufficient merit .....
Sure, it is not theoretically possible - my point is simply that in practice, "merit" is a bit subjective, and that the usual ways to get wealthy and powerful by "merit" (meaning what? Who decides what is meritorious? Is having a system where people get positions according to their scores on autistic standardized tests better than a feudal aristocracy? Why?) still end up with whoever passes all the tests and wins in a privileged position...

The real value is character, and that can come about in many ways, from many backgrounds - that is my main point. Proponents of meritocracy often tend to take a too narrow view of what "merit" means, I think

Oct 2012
If bikes are handed out based on merit, and you bribe the authorities so that your son can get one (meaning someone else will NOT get one) then yes.... Otherwise I dont see what parallel you are trying to make
I am just trying to find the line here. When does it become nepotism? If bribes are involved? or authorities? Giving a good word about my son to a Hollywood producer I know, is that nepotism?

Apr 2018
Upland, Sweden
To take an example I often take here: In Sweden we have a number of industrial families that have been quite prominent for the past 200 years. Is this nepotism? They give their money and power and Influence to "Friends and relatives" after all, and control very much of the country's economy.

I would say this is only bad and truly "nepotistic" if the family members and friends turn out to be incompetent and corrupt. This is not necessarily the case...