New Addition to School History in Australia re Indigenous .

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
- 'History' , although it will be taught in geography subjects .

1559216714006.png

" A rich resource for teachers of Geography Years 9 and 10 to use in the classroom. Based on the concepts in Bruce Pascoe's highly acclaimed book Dark Emu, this resource presents lesson content for the topics: Biomes and Food Security (Vic Year 9) / Sustainable Biomes (NSW Stage 5) Environmental Change and Management (Vic. Year 10 / NSW Stage 5). This innovative resource offers both new and experienced teachers a supportive and fresh approach to teaching geography through its well-organised lesson structure and high-interest, inquiry-based activities for students. "

Dark Emu in the Classroom: Teacher Resources for High School Geography

" Bruce Pascoe’s groundbreaking Dark Emu was first published in 2014, and has been showing us different ways of seeing the country and its “truer history”, as Pascoe puts it, ever since.

" Dark Emu has won a slew of awards and inspired many projects, from poetry to permaculture, from the arts to agriculture ... "

Dark Emu's infinite potential: 'Our kids have grown up in a fog about the history of the land'

But now, a kids version of the book has been made and will be used as a resource for teaching in schools . This could be the beginning of 'official' recognition for Australia's 'misunderstood' prehistory . If not, at east a generation of kids will be educated about it and carry the knoweldge forward into any futures they create .

[ Also, on matters of Australian pre-history, I heard on tv news last night that the 120,000 year date for the Aboriginal site at Warnambool has been confirmed by testing ;

'Mind-boggling' site 10 minutes from Warrnambool may re-write the human history of Australia ]

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
Excellent, Specul8. I wont be buying the book, but would be interested in articles like the two above. If humans reached Australia 130,000 years ago, then they must have reached India 150,000 years ago. Or 'Out of Africa' theory is wrong!

Mar 2019
Kansas
Excellent, Specul8. I wont be buying the book, but would be interested in articles like the two above. If humans reached Australia 130,000 years ago, then they must have reached India 150,000 years ago. Or 'Out of Africa' theory is wrong!
I did read a brief comment a couple years ago that suggested the arrival in India was not old enough. Now the out of Africa theory always had a lot of wriggle room in terms of dating, so it could easily be shifted backwards possibly as much as 50,000 years with causing to much heart ache to researches.