New Airport is a menace to Machu Picchu

Jan 2017
UK
The proposed airport is less than 20 miles from Cusco airport, you can even take the train to Machu Picchu, how much more convenience do tourists need?
The Inca trail is closed in February for maintenance anyway, so that airport's gonna be redundant 1 month every year.

Jan 2014
Portugal
The proposed airport is less than 20 miles from Cusco airport, you can even take the train to Machu Picchu, how much more convenience do tourists need?
The Inca trail is closed in February for maintenance anyway, so that airport's gonna be redundant 1 month every year.
Yeah plus that fact. Its just plain crazy. Sure there must be some contractors interest.

kandal

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
USA
I think it is a good idea to have an international airport 50 miles away from Machu Picchu. I don't see how any harm could be done. Most famous world historic sites are positioned that way.

When I went there, Peru was using an indirect way to reach Machu Picchu, making tourists spend more time and money in the country. Tourists land in Lima, have to spend couple of days there, then fly to Cusco spend couple of days there, then take a long train journey to reach Machu Picchu. With this new airport tourists have more cheaper options.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
When I went there, Peru was using an indirect way to reach Machu Picchu, making tourists spend more time and money in the country. Tourists land in Lima, have to spend couple of days there, then fly to Cusco spend couple of days there, then take a long train journey to reach Machu Picchu.
This is good.

With this new airport tourists have more cheaper options.
This is bad.

Similar History Discussions