New flags for former rebel states in USA

Status
Closed

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
I think if the Yanks try too use force we'll have another civil war. (No legal mumbo jumble =force. The only force that can accomplish that is military force).The North won the last time & they probably would win again, but they suffered a lot more casualties than the South, are you sure you want to do that again over a flag?
I'd disagree with all of that.
I think you are losing the culture war, so it won't come to guns.
"But after decades standing sentinel over this Southern city, the Confederate monuments are gone, amid a controversy that at times hearkened back to the divisiveness of the Civil War they commemorated."
Robert E. Lee statue is last Confederate monument removed in New Orleans - Chicago Tribune

The US only had more casualties because they accepted surrender instead of killing every rebel south of the Mason Dixon. The US Army was at its largest in 1865.

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
I'd disagree with all of that.
I think you are losing the culture war, so it won't come to guns.
"But after decades standing sentinel over this Southern city, the Confederate monuments are gone, amid a controversy that at times hearkened back to the divisiveness of the Civil War they commemorated."
Robert E. Lee statue is last Confederate monument removed in New Orleans - Chicago Tribune
I don't want to get into this sort of thing, but New Orleans city is majority black. They haven't yet taken down most of the Confederate monuments.

M9Powell

Ad Honorem
Oct 2014
appalacian Mtns
I don't want to get into this sort of thing, but New Orleans city is majority black. They haven't yet taken down most of the Confederate monuments.
Yea, I imagine that's a factor. The black population in my county is about 3%, if you were to be seen defacing a war monument in my county you might be shot & the murder never solved. "LeRoy what did you see". " I saw that Damn Yankee trying to deface the monument sir". "No I mean did you see who shot him". I think that Damn fool must've felt guilty about what he did & just shot himself".

Last edited:

MAGolding

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
Most of the replies have been off topic.

It is a common opinion that most US state flags are badly designed.

2001 NAVA survey | Vexillology Wiki | Fandom powered by Wikia

So why not offer suggestions for replacing the current state flags of former CSA states with better designed flags that also express that the current residents of those states are glad that the evil rebellions of those states 150 years ago failed?

Here is a another set of suggestions.

28 star US flag 1846-1847, for the admission of Texas.

28 Star Flag - (1846-1847) (U.S.)

27 star US flag 1845-1846, for the admission of Florida.

27 Star Flag - (1845-1846) (U.S.)

25 star US flag 1836-1837, for the admission of Arkansas.

25 Star Flag - (1836-1837) (U.S.)

24 star US flag 1822-1836, for the admission of Missouri.

24 Star Flag - (1822-1836) (U.S.)

These are the only versions of the US flag adopted for the admission of a single state that later happened to join the Confederacy.

But the flags would need significant differences to tell them apart from each other and from the US flag, and from any other states that decided to adopt flags of such designs.

So imagine that the hypothetical new state flags have a field with the US Flag with the number of stars resulting from the state entering the Union as the main charge on the field. The proportional size of the former US flag on the new state flag can vary from state to state.

The former US flag should be fimbriated with a color not in the US flag. That means it should be surrounded or outlined by a line that separates if from the surrounding field.

For example, the state flag of Pennsylvania has two black horses supporting the coat of arms on a dark blue background. They are fimbriated in white to make them standout from the dark blue background. Unfortunately the fimbriation is too thin. It should be at least twice as thick, possibly more, to make the black horses sufficiently clear and easy to see.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_and_coat_of_arms_of_Pennsylvania

the main heraldic and vexillogical colors are red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, with white and black. If the US flag in the new state flag design is outlined with a color not red, white or blue, that leaves four choices, orange, yellow, green, and purple, since black is too close to the dark blue in the canton of a US flag.

If the field of the flag outside the US can be a solid color, and any color except for the color of the fimbriation, then there are four possible colors for the fimbriation and each color chosen for the fimbriation would have seven possible different colors to pair with it. That gives 28 possible combinations of colors for the fimbriation and outside section of the new state flag.

Of course the field of the new state flag outside of the old US flag and the fimbriation could have one or more images of the state mammal, the state reptile, the state amphibian, the state bird, the state insect, the state flower, the state tree, etc., etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_United_States_state_symbols

And the field of the new state flag outside of the old US flag and the fimbriation can be divided and have two or more colors. The number of possible ways to divide the field of a flag is almost infinite, so if the colors of the field outside of the old US flag and the fimbriation are restricted to the national red, white and blue there will still be enough possible patterns for hundreds of potential US states.

Last edited:

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
So why not offer suggestions for replacing the current state flags of former CSA states with better designed flags that also express that the current residents of those states are glad that the evil rebellions of those states 150 years ago failed?
Why not just leave other people alone? What would that do for peaceful coexistence?

Jan 2010
Atlanta, Georgia USA
Where do yaw get the grits thang frum anyhow? I never saw grits growing up. Definatley not a Appalachian thang. Breakfast was always sawmill gravy & biscuits, if we were lucky we got a little country ham & redeye gravy.
Should say also that there was a small chain of breakfast places here in north Georgia that served country ham, redeye gravy, scrambled eggs and grits, among other things. Unfortunately, they closed maybe 20 years ago and we haven't had redeye gravy since.

Jan 2010
Atlanta, Georgia USA
Most of the replies have been off topic.

It is a common opinion that most US state flags are badly designed.

2001 NAVA survey | Vexillology Wiki | Fandom powered by Wikia

Here is a another set of suggestions.

28 star US flag 1846-1847, for the admission of Texas.

28 Star Flag - (1846-1847) (U.S.)

27 star US flag 1845-1846, for the admission of Florida.

27 Star Flag - (1845-1846) (U.S.)

25 star US flag 1836-1837, for the admission of Arkansas.

25 Star Flag - (1836-1837) (U.S.)

24 star US flag 1822-1836, for the admission of Missouri.

24 Star Flag - (1822-1836) (U.S.)

These are the only versions of the US flag adopted for the admission of a single state that later happened to join the Confederacy.

But the flags would need significant differences to tell them apart from each other and from the US flag, and from any other states that decided to adopt flags of such designs.

So imagine that the hypothetical new state flags have a field with the US Flag with the number of stars resulting from the state entering the Union as the main charge on the field. The proportional size of the former US flag on the new state flag can vary from state to state.

The former US flag should be fimbriated with a color not in the US flag. That means it should be surrounded or outlined by a line that separates if from the surrounding field.

For example, the state flag of Pennsylvania has two black horses supporting the coat of arms on a dark blue background. They are fimbriated in white to make them standout from the dark blue background. Unfortunately the fimbriation is too thin. It should be at least twice as thick, possibly more, to make the black horses sufficiently clear and easy to see.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_and_coat_of_arms_of_Pennsylvania

the main heraldic and vexillogical colors are red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, with white and black. If the US flag in the new state flag design is outlined with a color not red, white or blue, that leaves four choices, orange, yellow, green, and purple, since black is too close to the dark blue in the canton of a US flag.

If the field of the flag outside the US can be a solid color, and any color except for the color of the fimbriation, then there are four possible colors for the fimbriation and each color chosen for the fimbriation would have seven possible different colors to pair with it. That gives 28 possible combinations of colors for the fimbriation and outside section of the new state flag.

Of course the field of the new state flag outside of the old US flag and the fimbriation could have one or more images of the state mammal, the state reptile, the state amphibian, the state bird, the state insect, the state flower, the state tree, etc., etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_United_States_state_symbols

And the field of the new state flag outside of the old US flag and the fimbriation can be divided and have two or more colors. The number of possible ways to divide the field of a flag is almost infinite, so if the colors of the field outside of the old US flag and the fimbriation are restricted to the national red, white and blue there will still be enough possible patterns for hundreds of potential US states.
Your method would reward states for being "late to the party" by giving them more stars, thus signaling to people who follow soccer football that they'd won more or something.

So maybe the earlier states should get bigger stars (e.g. Georgia would get four big stars) while Texas would have to break its "Lone Star" up into a bunch of small ones.

Status
Closed

Similar History Discussions