New Tudor Picture

Belisarius

Forum Staff
Jun 2006
U.K.
Checked through my Tudor books and if this is a famous individual, it’s not a likeness I’ve seen before. The closest is Anne Bolyn, but you normally see pictures of her before she was married. This is a picture of a married woman, and from what I can make out of the costume it looks circa 1560, so I’m stumped. :(

May 2007
Australia
Checked through my Tudor books and if this is a famous individual, it’s not a likeness I’ve seen before. The closest is Anne Bolyn, but you normally see pictures of her before she was married. This is a picture of a married woman, and from what I can make out of the costume it looks circa 1560, so I’m stumped. :(
No you are definitely not stupid :D and yes it is Anne Boleyn - apparently:rolleyes:
It is from the cover of a book called Mistress Anne by Carolly Erickson and it says the illustration is provided by Giraudon / Art Resources. NY
This is a second publication of this book; the original book has the more traditional photo of Anne Boleyn, the one with the B necklace.
This picture seems to me to be a young Anne Boleyn. How do we know that she is a married woman? :eek:

Belisarius

Forum Staff
Jun 2006
U.K.
No you are definitely not stupid :D and yes it is Anne Boleyn - apparently:rolleyes:
It is from the cover of a book called Mistress Anne by Carolly Erickson and it says the illustration is provided by Giraudon / Art Resources. NY
This is a second publication of this book; the original book has the more traditional photo of Anne Boleyn, the one with the B necklace.
This picture seems to me to be a young Anne Boleyn. How do we know that she is a married woman? :eek:
While I’m occasionally self deprecating, I rarely call myself stupid [others do, but that’s another ball game!] I said STUMPED, a cricketing term I’d have thought most antipodeans would be familiar with. :D

The fashion in Tudor times was for unmarried women to display varying levels of décolletage, depending on how prim and proper hey were. Once married, respectable women were expected to cover up to the neck, to “take the goods off display”, so to speak. ;)

Last edited:
May 2007
Australia
-
While I’m occasionally self deprecating, I rarely call myself stupid [others do, but that’s another ball game!] I said STUMPED, a cricketing term I’d have thought most antipodeans would be familiar with. :D

The fashion in Tudor times was for unmarried women to display varying levels of décolletage, depending on how prim and proper hey were. Once married, respectable women were expected to cover up to the neck, to “take the goods off display”, so to speak. ;)
I have to say sorry for my mistake. I should have had my glasses on and take more time to read things through when answering these things.:eek:
Yes we are familiar with cricketing terms since Australia's team are the world champions:p You are very brave to even mention the cricket:eek: I'll say no more!;)
As far as the Tudor dress fashions you mentioned it is all very interesting. I shall go back to my books too and see what I can find.
I do know that dress did signified status at the Tudor court, and Anne's father spent lavishly on her wardrobe and adornments to help her gain the rank they were aiming for her to achieve. :rolleyes:

Belisarius

Forum Staff
Jun 2006
U.K.
-

I have to say sorry for my mistake. I should have had my glasses on and take more time to read things through when answering these things.:eek:
Yes we are familiar with cricketing terms since Australia's team are the world champions:p You are very brave to even mention the cricket:eek: I'll say no more!;)
As far as the Tudor dress fashions you mentioned it is all very interesting. I shall go back to my books too and see what I can find.
I do know that dress did signified status at the Tudor court, and Anne's father spent lavishly on her wardrobe and adornments to help her gain the rank they were aiming for her to achieve. :rolleyes:
No worries! As far as Cricket goes, our time will come! Today the West Indies, tomorrow Australia!:cool:

Similar History Discussions