Nicolae Ceausescu or Josip Tito : Who was the better leader?

Who was the better leader?

• Nicolae Ceaucescu

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Josip Tito

Votes: 15 100.0%

• Total voters

Ficino

Ad Honorem
Apr 2012
Romania
Which man had the better morals and was more popular with the citizens of his nation?
Re: better morals, I don't think that one of them had better morals than the other, they were approximately at the same level. Re: more popular, it depends on the period, for example Ceaușescu was very popular during his early years of rule and very unpopular during his last years of rule.

Last edited:

Ficino

Ad Honorem
Apr 2012
Romania
Tito was in later time less harsh than Ceausescu partly also because of westren aid which Yugoslavia recieved after clash between Tito and Stalin in 1948 and after the attempt to calm down Stalin failed. Aid was conditioned with making the regime in Yugoslavia softer.

But anyway both dictators made an agreement in Brioni the residence of Tito in 70's that political police of both regimes will work together in their persecution of political opponents. On this way for example Vladimir Dapčevič was arrested in Romania in 1975 by DIE and handed over to UDBA. Ion Pacepa wrote about this in his book Red Horizons and later in Serbia they also discovered two bodies of friends of Dapčevič which were arrested together with him ( in village Begejci or Torak ). Tito promised UDBA will arrest or kill anyone in the west for Ceausescu to return the favour.
Take the information from Pacepa's book cum grano salis, because his dishonesty is renowned. By the way, below is a good article on the Dapčevič case which underlines Pacepa's involvement, unfortunately it is in Romanian (but, as you know, you can use Google translate on it).

Last edited:
Sep 2019
Slovenia
Thank you for your article. I read it with the help of google translator. I knew already that DIE was directly involved in kidnapping Dapcevic because i read also articles about investigation in Serbia after the fall of communism. However this does not change much about the claim of Ion Pacepa in Red Horizons that Tito promised to Ceausescu that UDBA will return the favour to DIE by arresting Romunian dissidents. They tried to bring or lure Faust Bradesco to Belgrade but were not successful.

Also when Dapčevič was making accusations against Tito he confessed also to crimes commited by Yugoslav communists. In the video below in Serbian language he is admitting that in three days in 1945 after the war they killed 30.000 Croats near Maribor.

Last edited:

Ficino

Ad Honorem
Apr 2012
Romania
Thank you for your article. I read it with the help of google translator. I knew already that DIE was directly involved in kidnapping Dapcevic because i read also articles about investigation in Serbia after the fall of communism. However this does not change much about the claim of Ion Pacepa in Red Horizons that Tito promised to Ceausescu that UDBA will return the favour to DIE by arresting Romunian dissidents. They tried to bring or lure Faust Bradesco to Belgrade but were not successful.

Also when Dapčevič was making accusations against Tito he confessed also to crimes commited by Yugoslav communists. In the video below in Serbian language he is admitting that in three days in 1945 after the war they killed 30.000 Croats near Maribor.

I don't know if that particular claim is true or not (it can be very well true), I just meant that Pacepa's book should be read with caution because it often provides erroneous or deceitful information. For example concerning the Dapčevič case Pacepa minimizes his own role in the operation, confuses Alexander Opojevici with Markusev etc.

Last edited: