Nilotic People of Africa

Oct 2014
kenya
A lot is said about the Bantu grouping of African tribes & how they are oldest grouping in Africa.
I am a Nilote, and I seek to know about the origins of the Nilotes. In school we learn only as far as Bar-el-Ghazal where the people of the Nile (Nilotes) migrate from. Pieces I have found speak of linkage to ancient Egypt or those old kingdoms like Axum in that locale.
So I ask the African history aficionados to help in thid discussion & shed a light on the origin of the Nilotic people. If possible go as far as diversion from the Bantus.

Ighayere

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Benin City, Nigeria
A lot is said about the Bantu grouping of African tribes & how they are oldest grouping in Africa.
Is that really the oldest language group in Africa?

I am a Nilote, and I seek to know about the origins of the Nilotes. In school we learn only as far as Bar-el-Ghazal where the people of the Nile (Nilotes) migrate from. Pieces I have found speak of linkage to ancient Egypt or those old kingdoms like Axum in that locale.
So I ask the African history aficionados to help in thid discussion & shed a light on the origin of the Nilotic people. If possible go as far as diversion from the Bantus.
Unfortunately, I don't know that much about the Nilotic groups so I can't contribute much, but I searched around a bit and found some things.

This article mentions the homeland of the eastern Nilotes as most likely being west of Lake Turkana in the second part of the article:

http://in-africa.org/wp-content/upl...9-JAfrHist-Cushitic-Nilotic-preh-NW-Kneya.pdf

A more recent publication, the 2012 edition of the book History of Africa by Kevin Shillington states (pp. 126 - 127) that the western Nilotes and southern Nilotes came from southern Sudan to their present location, while the eastern Nilotes came from an area northwest of Lake Turkana.

This is a website about research on the Nilotic languages:

Nilotic Language Network

On that page there is a link to a list of contemporary researchers who have published on the Nilotic languages, with a description of the specific area of research on Nilotic languages that they have worked on. I have read a few publications (on other subjects) by one of the researchers listed there, Christopher Ehret, and upon looking through his profile it seems he wrote a book on Southern Nilotic history some decades ago, so if you have an interest in that particular branch of the Nilotes, I imagine his book would be useful.

Jun 2014
USA
The Nilotes were the original inhabitants of the Sudan/Egypt region and all of Northern Africa. Anatomically their bodies are evolved to endure the heat of the Sahara. They have very tall skinny bodies with long limbs, wide nostrils, and dark skin which are all excellent traits for dispersing heat and blocking UV rays. There was a documentary I watched a while back that sheds light on this a bit as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz94ZjGCy2s