No Blacks, No Irish, No Dogs - no facts?

Jan 2019
Vienna
Hi, its been a while, this thread may not be active and seems to have been sidetracked by arguments about the history and extent of anti irish discrimunation.
Has anyone found any evidence of the sign "no blacks , no irish, no dogs" ?
I personally believe there has been a mass misrememberance and that most people are projecting on their own memories a specific saying that was likely very rare.

Nov 2010
Cornwall
Hi, its been a while, this thread may not be active and seems to have been sidetracked by arguments about the history and extent of anti irish discrimunation.
I personally believe there has been a mass misrememberance and that most people are projecting on their own memories a specific saying that was likely very rare.
I personally believe it was quite common.

It's outrageous today but wasn't not all that long ago. In fact, why would there not have been in the society that existed?

Nov 2011
The Dustbin, formerly, Garden of England
Discussed here at length more than once.

British attitudes towards the colonies after the second world war

Other posts argue against--but weakly.

royal744

Ad Honorem
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
These things need to be addressed because Britain as we all know has a serious racism problem. It stems from the past and its in the past hopefully the answers will be found to rid it once and for all.
I must say, it’s quite eye-opening for me, an American, to read about these signs in Great Britain. None of us are immune to the curse of racism, apparently, whether the object be Irish, West Indian or Canine.

royal744

Ad Honorem
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
No Britain does not have "a serious racism problem" . Far from it in fact. I could say Ireland has a serious bigot problem but I'm sure most Irish people (like the British) are OK.

You said in a recent post " I do not blame the British people now" . Your inference being that you blame the British people THEN. The British people who were agricultural labourers , coal miners, mill labourers , metal workers . They went through famine , they were worked to death (literally) , they lived in slums . Most working class men could not vote until the 1920s . Yet YOU (and others) , blame them ?
What happened to the Irish needs to be put in context with what happened to the British working class. That's what needs to be "addressed"
This sounds reasonable.

royal744

Ad Honorem
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Apparent
It was claimed by some Irish people that this happened in America too. However, a professor there could find no proof of this.

Richard J. Jensen - "No Irish Need Apply": A Myth of Victimization - Journal of Social History 36:2
Apparently not true. I heard about discrimination against the Irish in the 19th and early 20th century in the US, but never saw any in the US from the 1950s on. Trecios’ post pretty much answered th question of “Did it happen here?” Yeah, I think it’s pretty obvious it did, But I never saw any of it from when I was a young man to the present day.

royal744

Ad Honorem
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
At international football matches it is natural to boo the opposing national anthem. Despite this I would guess the vast majority of those booing are in no way intolerant of the country whose anthem they are booing.
Intereresting. An opponent’s national anthem would never be booed in this country. It would be considered extremely bad behavior.

Jun 2010
Colorado Springs (PA at heart)
It was claimed by some Irish people that this happened in America too. However, a professor there could find no proof of this.

Richard J. Jensen - "No Irish Need Apply": A Myth of Victimization - Journal of Social History 36:2
That professor is an idiot then.

Newspapers.com search

It happened in England too:

Newspapers.com search

I can't speak to the inclusion of "dogs" along aside Irish and Blacks, but anyone who tries to claim "No Irish Need Apply" is a myth clearly isn't hasn't done any research at all, or has some kind of prejudice agenda and is willing to spread lies to support it.

Sindane

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Europe
That professor is an idiot then.

Newspapers.com search

It happened in England too:

Newspapers.com search

I can't speak to the inclusion of "dogs" along aside Irish and Blacks, but anyone who tries to claim "No Irish Need Apply" is a myth clearly isn't hasn't done any research at all, or has some kind of prejudice agenda and is willing to spread lies to support it.
There are even more results on that newspaper archive website for the search "No English need apply"
Search Newspapers.com"no+English+need+apply"&s_place=&date_field=
So how does that work?

Any result for NINA in archives might also be a recent article discussing it

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions