No Blacks, No Irish, No Dogs - no facts?

Mar 2013
the Nile to the Euphrates
Thing is, i have (in other online forums) pressed people who say they remember them. In every case, they would eventually concede that "ok it didnt say that exactly, but something along those lines" this makes me think it is people remembering a false memory.
The Mandela Effect?

Belgarion

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Australia
No. For one, you're looking for proof that anti-Irish sentiment and racism was prevalent, the other you're looking for proof of one specific type of sign, and you don't need proof of that particular sign to prove anti-Irish sentiment and racism was prevalent.
No one here has denied that there was anti Irish sentiment and discrimination. What is being denied is the existence of these signs.

Jun 2010
Colorado Springs (PA at heart)
No one here has denied that there was anti Irish sentiment and discrimination.
I haven't suggested that anyone did.

What is being denied is the existence of these signs.
I understand that, and I understand there's no proof that one particular sign (the one that includes "dogs" on it) never existed (there is plenty of proof of existence of other signs), I'm suggesting that maybe the existence or non-existence of that one particular doesn't really matter.

There is absolutely no evidence that these signs ever existed in the UK, except for one photo that is owned by a university and even the university admits is of "uncertain provenance" ie fake, but of course the British left don't let a small inconvenience like no evidence get in the way of using it as a straw man with which to attack native British people who oppose mass immigration. The mainstream media have used this claim so aggressively over the years that it has become accepted fact in the UK, despite the total lack of any proof.

I find it interesting how many people who no doubt consider themselves "historians" in this thread are defending something that has zero evidence to support it. In reality there is far more evidence to support widespread and pervasive anti-British sentiment in the Irish Republic, especially against any Irish person who joined the British military.

Jan 2019
Vienna
I haven't suggested that anyone did.

I understand that, and I understand there's no proof that one particular sign (the one that includes "dogs" on it) never existed (there is plenty of proof of existence of other signs), I'm suggesting that maybe the existence or non-existence of that one particular doesn't really matter.
I think the crucial aspect was the implied links to black suffering. It always seemed to be irish people to refer to this sign, not black people. Piggybacking onto the suffering of others who undoubtedly suffered more.

Jun 2010
Colorado Springs (PA at heart)
I think the crucial aspect was the implied links to black suffering. It always seemed to be irish people to refer to this sign, not black people. Piggybacking onto the suffering of others who undoubtedly suffered more.
I think the Irish signs and black signs likely existed during different time periods.

Mar 2017
Hussletown
Just out of interest and generally in relation to the subject of this thread, an initial search of the 19th century British newspaper archives returns 634 hits for the search term: 'No Irish Need Apply'. Here are some examples:

Morning Chronicle, London, Sat 26 April 1834 - Wanted, a Servant, in a Tradesman's Family, where there are Children. No Irish need apply. A Country Girl, about 17 years of age, would be preferred ....

The Record, Friday 10 Sept 1858 - Wanted, immediately, a curate of decided piety, and possessing a missionary spirit, to assist the Vicar of a very populous parish in the diocese of Lichfield; a title can be given. No Irishman need apply. ....

Trewman's Exeter Flying Post, Wed 9 Dec 1874 - 2000 Cock Turkeys wanted by Saturday, 19th December. Best quality required for which good prices will be given. Apply Messrs. Chambers, Goldsmith Street, Exeter. No Irish Dealers need apply.

North Wales Chronicle, Sat 12 Dec 1891 - Wanted in Llandudno, a good Strong and Active General Servant who can cook, etc. for a small family. Age NOT under 24. No Irish need apply. ....
Reading through this thread I came across this post. Following it up I went and had a look myself at a British newspapers database and the adverts are very instructive of attitudes and prejudice towards the Irish.

Jun 2014
Republic of Ireland
I have followed this thread with interest. To be honest, I cannot understand why this is so contentious. Racism was rife in the 60's, this was the era of Apartheid in South Africa and Jim Crow was still going strong in the USA. Was there a country in the world at the time that had no racism ? I sincerely doubt such a Utopia existed.

I talked to two of my neighbors today. They are an elderly couple, who moved back here from London some years ago. The man first moved to London in 1960 and his wife in 1963. They were both adamant that such signs existed. I made sure to ask them, had they seen these signs with their own eyes, and they were emphatic that they had. The man went further and said that he even saw postcard size ones in shops add boards.
This couple are neither senile or delusional and they have no motivation to lie about the subject.

Similar History Discussions