No Blacks, No Irish, No Dogs - no facts?

Jun 2010
Colorado Springs (PA at heart)
Then where are they? There should surely be some examples.
Of both/either? Black segregation signs are certainly not hard to find: Segregation Signs - For All The World To See - UMBC

I don’t know about “no Irish” meaning no Irish are even allowed inside as customers, but certainly “no Irish need apply” to jobs wanted were extremely common. There’s a plethora of examples of it in newspapers (both in the US and the UK) - I posted links to them earlier in the topic, so it would not surprise me if it was also put on help wanted signs in shop windows. Perhaps there’s no photographic evidence of it in shop windows because I suspect these were more common in the 19th century, when the highest numbers of poor Irish immigrants came over after the famine, and therefore when photography was still young and street photography not very common.

In case you don’t want to go back looking for the links: Newspapers.com search

Over 9,000 hits for “no Irish need apply”, primarily in the mid 19th century, just as I suggested. It dies out in the 20th century until there’s another spike in the mid 20th century, I think as articles talked about it in historical context. There’s still over 4,000 hits from the 19th century.

Last edited:

Sindane

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Europe
There are thousands of 'hits' for "no English need apply" or "no whatever nationality need apply" on that newspaper archive as well.

Belgarion

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Australia
Of both/either? Black segregation signs are certainly not hard to find: Segregation Signs - For All The World To See - UMBC

I don’t know about “no Irish” meaning no Irish are even allowed inside as customers, but certainly “no Irish need apply” to jobs wanted were extremely common. There’s a plethora of examples of it in newspapers (both in the US and the UK) - I posted links to them earlier in the topic, so it would not surprise me if it was also put on help wanted signs in shop windows. Perhaps there’s no photographic evidence of it in shop windows because I suspect these were more common in the 19th century, when the highest numbers of poor Irish immigrants came over after the famine, and therefore when photography was still young and street photography not very common.

In case you don’t want to go back looking for the links: Newspapers.com search

Over 9,000 hits for “no Irish need apply”, primarily in the mid 19th century, just as I suggested. It dies out in the 20th century until there’s another spike in the mid 20th century, I think as articles talked about it in historical context. There’s still over 4,000 hits from the 19th century.

I am sticking to the topic Re. Irish. Don't know where the irrelevant link to black oppression came from. But yes, there are examples in the papers, but no evidence whatsoever of the type of signs you describe. These are just another flawed collective memory of the past .

I have followed this thread with interest. To be honest, I cannot understand why this is so contentious. Racism was rife in the 60's, this was the era of Apartheid in South Africa and Jim Crow was still going strong in the USA. Was there a country in the world at the time that had no racism ? I sincerely doubt such a Utopia existed.

I talked to two of my neighbors today. They are an elderly couple, who moved back here from London some years ago. The man first moved to London in 1960 and his wife in 1963. They were both adamant that such signs existed. I made sure to ask them, had they seen these signs with their own eyes, and they were emphatic that they had. The man went further and said that he even saw postcard size ones in shops add boards.
This couple are neither senile or delusional and they have no motivation to lie about the subject.
Hi,

" I talked to two of my neighbors today. They are an elderly couple, who moved back here from London some years ago. The man first moved to London in 1960 and his wife in 1963. They were both adamant that such signs existed. I made sure to ask them, had they seen these signs with their own eyes, and they were emphatic that they had. The man went further and said that he even saw postcard size ones in shops add boards."

Could you confirm that it was the "no blacks no irish no dogs" (all six words in whatever order, in one sign) that they saw?

It does seem revealing to me how the posts regularly meander off topic, i was (and the original thread) fixated on this one particular phrase on a sign.

Nov 2011
The Dustbin, formerly, Garden of England
Hi,

" I talked to two of my neighbors today. They are an elderly couple, who moved back here from London some years ago. The man first moved to London in 1960 and his wife in 1963. They were both adamant that such signs existed. I made sure to ask them, had they seen these signs with their own eyes, and they were emphatic that they had. The man went further and said that he even saw postcard size ones in shops add boards."

Could you confirm that it was the "no blacks no irish no dogs" (all six words in whatever order, in one sign) that they saw?

It does seem revealing to me how the posts regularly meander off topic, i was (and the original thread) fixated on this one particular phrase on a sign.
Please do a bit of research--even on here:-

No Blacks, No Irish, No Dogs - no facts?

British attitudes towards the colonies after the second world war

British attitudes towards the colonies after the second world war

Mar 2017
Hussletown
Then where are they? There should surely be some examples.
They're gone! In the thrashcan with the rest of the garbage. Why would the makers and displayers of such signs keep them? It is not like they were made of durable materials. Because they were never intended to last in perpetuity the overwhelming majority were written on paper and card.

Similar History Discussions