No many imprisoned Italian Americans

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
During WWII, like Japanese citizens also a certain number of "Italian Americans" [no legal definition was available to be accurate] had imprisoned.

The matter was not easy: between 1880 and 1940 millions of immigrants from Italy reached the United States. Anyway still in 1940 about 600,000 of these Italian Americans had declared hostile foreigners.

anyway the phenomenon was not so wide.

On December 7th 1941 [after Pearl Harbor] some Italians had arrested and after that Germany and Italy declared war to the US, the Italians arrested reached the number of 1520 [June 1942].

In 1942, after the registration of the hostile foreigners, the records said that in US there were:

92,000 Japanese HFs
315,000 German HFs
695,000 Italian HFs

But at the end the large majority of the arrested hostile foreigners were Japanese and German; only 231 Italians had arrested [NY Times, 1942 January 1st].

Again the New York Times on January 11th 1942 reported that the labor unions of Italian Americans asked to Roosevelt to erase the ignoble label of hostile foreigners from Italians.

After a rude social fight, the Italian American obtained, in October 1942 that the definition of hostile foreigners about Italian Americans / Italians. Roosevelt acted, directly.

PM96

Ad Honorem
Feb 2012
California
I think the reason that Japanese-Americans got most of the internment was because there were far more German-Americans and Italian-Americans, who were also more influential in American society. It also doesn't help that the Japanese-Americans are non-white, and were viewed as the enemy because of Imperial Japan's visible act of aggression against the United States.

Nov 2010
Indiana
I think the reason that Japanese-Americans got most of the internment was because there were far more German-Americans and Italian-Americans, who were also more influential in American society. It also doesn't help that the Japanese-Americans are non-white, and were viewed as the enemy because of Imperial Japan's visible act of aggression against the United States.
It is my understanding that only Japanese on the West Coast were interned.

Oct 2012
Also, there was less fear of a German or Italian invasion of the US than of a Japanese invasion (even though a Japanese invasion of any of the states was also highly unlikely, the fear of one was very real). There were many reasons for this such as allied Naval strength relative to Germany/Italy combined with the the fact that the UK stood between our continental enemies and the US.

I'm not saying racism wasn't a factor, it obviously was (the Italians had just barely started to gain social acceptance in the US, the Japanese, not so much, especially outside the cities of the west coast), but I suspect that had the UK and Iceland fallen to the Germans/Italians and had our control of the Atlantic become uncertain we would have seen a lot more Germans and Italians interned.

Last edited:

RoryOMore

Ad Honorem
Mar 2012
USA
Japan also had the distinction of having not merely a state religion, but the Emperor acting as some measure of deity on earth.

Sep 2013
Ireland
Italy are a complete mystery to me in WW2. I must look into it more. I can't understand why they were so ineffective. I think they should have thanked the allies for not bombing Rome which was a nice gesture on the allied part.

Mar 2014
Beneath a cold sun, a grey sun, a Heretic sun...
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Rome_in_World_War_II"]Bombing of Rome in World War II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

(What's 60,000 tons between friends...)