No moves made about George Washington?

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
We come here to speculate and shoot the bull. Many things in history can't be proven and if we could only talk about those things that can be proven we'd have little to talk about.
I am not here primarily to speculate and shoot, but I do acknowledge my request for speculation.

On one hand, and perhaps superficially, one would think Washington's bio would be a logical subject for Hollywood. After all, most countries do not have a Founding Father, so tangible, so close. He's not the sons of Noah. On the other hand, it is my speculation that this avenue has not been traveled because his status is too iconic.

Reactionaries take offense at this and complain about "PC", as though being politically correct is a bad thing.
In some countries they take offense. In other countries, they go straight to the firing squad, do not pass probable cause, do not collect a fair trial.

I, for one, never complain about political correctness. Because if I am "complaining," it can't be correct. lol

Reactions: Zip

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."
We know if the British had won no Founder would have been benefiting financially as their lives would have been over.

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
We know if the British had won no Founder would have been benefiting financially as their lives would have been over.
Maybe not all. There was always the Benedict Arnold Witness Protection Program and the ever popular Freemason Generals Don't Execute Their Brothers Program.

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
Maybe not all. There was always the Benedict Arnold Witness Protection Program.
Now there was one who was motivated by something other than the cause. Seriously, as commander in chief, Washington could have likely convinced to Continental Congress to sue for peace at any time, especially during the dark moments of the war - and there were many. Or he could have coordinated with the British to throw a key battle, and thus the war. Additionally, he could have negotiated something similar to Arnold, to benefit himself.

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
Now there was one who was motivated by something other than the cause. Seriously, as commander in chief, Washington could have likely convinced to Continental Congress to sue for peace at any time, especially during the dark moments of the war - and there were many. Or he could have coordinated with the British to throw a key battle, and thus the war. Additionally, he could have negotiated something similar to Arnold, to benefit himself.
There is man who thinks outside the box. Though I don't suspect any Colonials of throwing battles or needlessly sacrificing his own men (until the US Civil War - but that is another thread for another time).

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
Though I don't suspect any Colonials of throwing battles or needlessly sacrificing his own men (until the US Civil War - but that is another thread for another time).
Not unless one was motivated for fame and fortune, like Arnold. Of course history is full of leaders and armies changing sides.

Jun 2017
Connecticut
Any theories why not?

I can think of two Presidents who by name were the subject of movies. HBO made a series about John Adams ca 2008; and there were a couple of movies about Lincoln. There are historical movies in which a President is the central character, like Thirteen Days (JFK). And a movie titled JFK in which he is not a character.

Father of the Country? Lots of books. And not one movie?
Harder to portray people and places from the pre photograph era. Cause we don't really KNOW how things looked in the same sense we do with stuff the last 200 years. And there's been portrayals just not many. And I've noticed the most notable people in history enter this semi religious sphere where they don't get things made about them.

And yeah touching on his life would be a lose lose situation. Portray it accurately slave owning and it would be criticized, portray it watered down and it would be criticized. Same with Jefferson. One of the reasons making a period HBO series on John Adams made more sense than with the other founders is cause John was the only major founder(household name to non historians/people who don't live in said founders state) was a New Englander who didn't own slaves and the series could largely skirt around that aspect of American life as a result while still remaining mostly accurate. Guess Franklin would be a second one but yeah he was in Europe most of the war and died earlier.

Also a story of Washington would have to address the pre revolutionary period where we considered ourselves British and for some reason there has been an almost complete aversion to any stories between early colonial USA(stuff like Jamestown, Plymouth and the Salem Witch Trials) and the time of the revolution.

Last edited:

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
Also a story of Washington would have to address the pre revolutionary period where we considered ourselves British and for some reason there has been an almost complete aversion to any stories between early colonial USA(stuff like Jamestown, Plymouth and the Salem Witch Trials) and the time of the revolution.
That's a larger version of the same point and I agree. And I agree with you about Adams being a safe choice.

However, I do not agree about aversion to the witch trials. It is a well-worn path, despite it being a lot less significant that the lives of Franklin, Washington,or Jefferson.
Salem Witch Trials Movies & T.V. Shows

Thanks for your response.

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
Harder to portray people and places from the pre photograph era. Cause we don't really KNOW how things looked in the same sense we do with stuff the last 200 years.
How do you mean? We do have paintings of places, people, fashions... many people have written about events, places, etc. whether that be in diary form or more formal accounts. We have uniforms, clothing, tools, furnishings, buildings and all sorts of other preserved items from that era.