No Nuclear Weapons in 1945 or Thereafter

Belgarion

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Australia
Does Hokkaido become a Japanese version of North Korea in this scenario if there's no WWIII?
I don't think so. The Allies will not settle for anything less than total victory and a Japanese holdout state would not be allowed to exist.

Reactions: Futurist

starman

Ad Honorem
Jan 2014
Connecticut
Having the Soviets get that quickly to Paris might be a real challenge for logistical reasons--especially if the West will blow up things such as roads, railroads, and bridges in order to slow the speed of the Soviet advance.
But the Soviets had plenty of bridging equipment, which the Egyptians acquired and made good use of in ā€˜73. Also the Soviets had special forces which could get behind enemy lines to seize critical points.

Belgarion

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Australia
I meant a Communist Hokkaido here.
Ah, I see. I don't think so. Stalin may decide to grab Hokkaido on the pretext of helping the western Allies subdue Japan, however I doubt he would have the logistic capacity to do so, nor would the Allies want him occupying any part of the home islands anyway so I doubt they would provide the material needed.

Reactions: Futurist

Menshevik

Ad Honorem
Dec 2012
here
Project Manhattan is a failure and after spending billions of dollars to no result, the US pulls the plug on it... Other nations likewise see that this technology is way to complex and drop research in that area

Japan still surrenders in 1945 after the firebombing of all its major cities and the soviet intervention in Manchuria.

But what happens after that ? would the world be any different and how ?
Maybe other means of delivering mass destruction are explored? Biological/chemical weapons?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Ah, I see. I don't think so. Stalin may decide to grab Hokkaido on the pretext of helping the western Allies subdue Japan, however I doubt he would have the logistic capacity to do so, nor would the Allies want him occupying any part of the home islands anyway so I doubt they would provide the material needed.
The Soviet Navy wasn't powerful enough to do this by itself?

Also, the Western Allies agreed to let Stalin occupy North Korea, didn't they?