No objective moral truth without a Supreme Being?

Cepheus

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
This is where it gets interesting.... The statement "Suzy cannot be in both places at the same time" is based on what we as humans know of our universe, space , time etc....
Ontological arguments necessarily gravitate around this concept.

The concept being, infinite value or what we would call a singularity. IOW, an unexplainable event.

This is why there will no definition of a supreme being that does not have a contradiction embedded in it.

Cepheus

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
What are you confused about? Are you uncertain of what issues I was referring to? I was talking about the traditional concept of omnipotence in classical theism.
Oh good.

Then what is the definition of omnipotence in play here ? That would be the definition of omnipotence "in classical theism."

Cepheus

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
So, it appears there is no objective truth with or without a supreme being.

How can an undefined or nonclarified agent be a giver of objective morality ?

This of course, stands, regardless of the observers ontological position. Right ?

Cepheus

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
I'm not sure why you think my post was a personal attack. On the contrary, I was *defending* dreamregent, by pointing out that he understands the situation but that he just doesn't want to use the term 'omnipotent' in the way that others here want to use it.
I wrote that it was ad hominem.

ad hominem means that the argument is directed at the person instead of the argument itself. It can be translated as an attack on the person but that is not the core definition of ad hominem.

ad ho·mi·nem
/ˌad ˈhämənəm/
adjective
adjective: ad hominem
  1. 1.
    (of an argument or reaction) directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining.
    "vicious ad hominem attacks"
adverb
adverb: ad hominem
  1. 1.
    in a way that is directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining.
    "these points come from some of our best information sources, who realize they'll be attacked ad hominem"
  2. 2.
    in a way that relates to or is associated with a particular person.
    "the office was created ad hominem for Fenton"

Cepheus

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Objective:

ob·jec·tive
/əbˈjektiv/
adjective
adjective: objective

(of a person or their judgment) not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts.
"historians try to be objective and impartial"
synonyms:impartial, unbiased, unprejudiced, nonpartisan, disinterested, nondiscriminatory, neutral, uninvolved, even-handed, equitable, fair, fair-minded, just, open-minded, dispassionate, detached, impersonal, unemotional, clinical
"an interviewer must try to be objective"
antonyms:biased, partial, prejudiced
  • not dependent on the mind for existence; actual.
    "a matter of objective fact"
    synonyms:factual, actual, real, empirical, verifiable, existing, manifest
    "the world of objective knowledge"
    antonyms:subjective