No objective moral truth without a Supreme Being?

Ficino

Ad Honorem
Apr 2012
Romania
There is a lot to be said, I think, for Aristotle's view of the matter, that the realization of virtue is the realization of our proper nature as a human being, and that must bring with it the fullest satisfaction that we can achieve; so even if it can be unpleasant to have to overcome our meaner impulses to achieve that, the end that one finally achieves is more satisfying than anything that has to be sacrificed in achieving it. I don't care for the idea that moral merit lies primarily in forcing oneself to do things that one doesn't want to do, because in so far as moral endeavour is a strain, that is a sign that one is only at an early stage in one's moral development.
According to Aristotle, in order to achieve virtue one should desire what he ought to desire.

Sep 2015
England
An interesting take on this would be Johann von Herder's concepts on the development of societies and national identities. Which is to say, how a people come to view themselves through art, language, and as Herder would note, songs and stories. Of course, Herder, who apparently, not many people seem to be aware of, is arguably one of the most important philosophers of the modern age due to his impact on Hegel, Marx, Nietzsche and many others, to say nothing of his impact on Polish nationalism.
Both Hobbes and Aristotle were of their time surely, which included their socio-political circumstances. Just not a very smart idea to start merrily jumping about criticising your very own absolute ruler...

Sep 2015
England
This seems to be drifting towards Hobbes "instrumentality" of actions that are in our self interest.

Arguable the furthest from Kant out of the many reference points we have from philosophers such as Locke, Hume or Aquinas.

Of course, Kant seems to argue that the closer our actions favor our wishes, the further we are from morality. Of course, moral action being a duty more than a response to reason or self-interest.
I discern here strands of the EU in your critique of Hobbes "instrumentality" ?

Cepheus

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
I discern here strands of the EU in your critique of Hobbes "instrumentality" ?
Not really. Nothing intentional. Although, now that you mention it, I do think his observations would be quite apropos given some of the issues that the EU is sorting out at present.

Last edited: