No other man on the Moon ...

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
In the meanwhile Elon Musk is going on with the program of his corporation. The new SpaceX Starship should fly to the orbit in the next months. Now, listening to Musk, such a sace vehicle should be able to carry a crew to the Moon and than to Mars ... Sure they've got the spirit of the pioneers ... We will see.

And it seems that the new vessel [in stainless steel] will be cheap [only 2,000,000$ per launch].

SpaceX's Starship May Fly for Just $2 Million Per Mission, Elon Musk Says

Nov 2019
Bylanuelde,Alemannia
Btw, now Mars should be visible between Mercury and Spica. But now it's far. In October 2020 it will be 6 times more near [and so six times bigger in the sky]
With naked eye or with obstacles? next year all the marsrover missions are starting in June also Musks Cargomission Maybe this is the time with the shortest Distance between Mars and earth.
About SpaceX Starhip, the beginning of the adventure is not exactly the best possible ...Elon Musk's SpaceX Starship prototype EXPLODES during pressure test
When it comes to bring food supplies to Mars it dont know why they not use a simple method instead of the risky starhopper because Food can be stored in a metalboxes and ist not a tragedy if the box is dameged by a rock, the foodpackage while survive that.I would prefere the curiosity Method for a cargomission u know the Airbagstyle.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
The fact that the moon has only been visited once is evidence that back then all of it was just a matter of prestige between america and russia.
Even a permanent base on the moon is going to be incredibly expensive. Maybe if we had found tons of green cheese, mountains of gold or even kyptonite, the urgency would be obvious, but for now, it appears that it’s just compacted dirt.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
No. The cargo ship will be already landed at the location on Mars where humans will arrive. It can be send during an earlier Mars launch opportunity, two years before. It will also serve as a redundant reserve escape ship, in case the ship that humans arrive in gets damaged on landing. Human mission will not even start until the cargo ship is safe and sound on the ground on Mars with everything operational.

People who will volunteer for a Mars mission know the risk. The first explorers are always the risk takers, that is why they are celebrated. The rest of us, armchair generals, just sit on our computer chairs and discuss how something is "impossible" to do.
There’s a big difference between “calculated risk” and almost certain death. Maybe this is OK as a personal decision by an individual risk-taker, but as a national effort, I would raise a big caution flag.

Growing up, I scoured the magazines and papers for anything having to do with the conquest of “outer space”. I couldn’t get enough of it. I even bought a “ticket” back in the 50s for the first flight to the moon and might still have it around here somewhere, LOL. Oh well.

I’m not opposed to visiting other planets, but we are still in the “baby steps” phase and need buckets of cold water to remind us that a) we don’t know what long voyages in space will do to the human body; b) space travel is full of unknown and unquantifiable risks that we don’t know much about; c) it’s better to go slow and be as sure as we can be (you can never know “everything”); d) if a “flight” to Mars is seriously planned, it should probably be an international effort to spread the risks and costs around.

I just don’t think this should be undertaken until we have eliminated as many unknowns as possible, with the understanding that we don’t know can readily kill us.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
With naked eye or with obstacles? next year all the marsrover missions are starting in June also Musks Cargomission Maybe this is the time with the shortest Distance between Mars and earth.
When it comes to bring food supplies to Mars it dont know why they not use a simple method instead of the risky starhopper because Food can be stored in a metalboxes and ist not a tragedy if the box is dameged by a rock, the foodpackage while survive that.I would prefere the curiosity Method for a cargomission u know the Airbagstyle.
Since I've got a passion for astronomy and archaeoastronomy I can find planets, stars and constellations in the sky. Keep in mind that Venus is always an evident object and that in a period of the year in the Northern hemisphere Sirius competes with it.

The rest is about to know where to look.

You can see Mars using your eyes, if you know where to look. But don't expect to see a red disk: it's a common weak "star" for the human eye. The color, if you observe with attention, tends to be a bit red. But I've noted that until your eye is trained you will see a common weak star [not noting the red nuance].

Airbags can be a nice solution.

But ... since now we know that on Mars there is water ... lyopholized food would work and it would allow to save room on the space vessels.

Nov 2019
Bylanuelde,Alemannia
Since I've got a passion for astronomy and archaeoastronomy I can find planets, stars and constellations in the sky. Keep in mind that Venus is always an evident object and that in a period of the year in the Northern hemisphere Sirius competes with it.

The rest is about to know where to look.

You can see Mars using your eyes, if you know where to look. But don't expect to see a red disk: it's a common weak "star" for the human eye. The color, if you observe with attention, tends to be a bit red. But I've noted that until your eye is trained you will see a common weak star [not noting the red nuance].
i would like to inform me about the Position but i live in an area with high lightpullution you only see stars like a polarstar bright enough.

Airbags can be a nice solution.

But ... since now we know that on Mars there is water ... lyopholized food would work and it would allow to save room on the space vessels.
lyopholized ,sounds like food just to get nutrition and not tasty Maybe it is better for the mental Health to Cargo parts of Food the astronauts knew from the Supermarket anyway a box of food wouldnt need so much airbags like the rovers did and pearps to take material for the Airbags which can be used in any form later at the Base.

Oct 2015
Belfast
During the Cold War, there seemed to be a widespread belief in media circles, in particular that because the Soviet Union missed out on landing a man on the moon, they would set their sights on being the first nation to land a man on Mars. I remember the BBC Science correspondent, Reg Turnhill saying, "The first man on Mars would be a Russian".

Nov 2019
Bylanuelde,Alemannia
The russian Missiles are the fastest i wouldnt be surprised if they make it first but who soever make the run to the red planet a Greek/a should be on board in honour of the ancient greeks who taught us the existence of Ares.
Meanwhile i read that the Dutch "marsone" Mission stopped to work on it to bring People in a oneway Mission to mars