No other man on the Moon ...

Dec 2019
Adelaide
My questionable opinion is that the Shuttle Program has damaged a lot space exploration, simply because it blocked resources for a program without future. Just Musk has demonstrated that also rockets can take land after a mission. There was no need for a Shuttle, after all.
The Shuttle Program was first and foremost an attempt by NASA to save money, by re-using the launch rockets and the shuttles. The thought of launching hundreds of military and civilian satellites from shuttles obsessed the accountants at NASA, to the detriment of space science. In hindsight, the Space Shuttles were an accident waiting to happen. We now know that there are more efficient, economic and most importantly, safer ways to do things in space. After all, the most important payload is the astronauts.

Dec 2019
Adelaide
Probably the first manned mission to Mars will be via AI. That way we can save an enormous amount of time and money not having to worry about radiation or life support systems. It is worth noting that the Russians landed on the hostile environment of Venus using a relatively simple rocket and landing craft, years before the Americans landed on the moon. Let's face it, most of the technological leaps and bounds in recent years have been in AI, so NASA might as well use it!

Nov 2019
Bylanuelde,Alemannia
Um, the UN does not sell airline tickets, nor do they control a nation's customs department or airline security procedures. There are certainly international standards for passports and such, but I'm not sure the UN actually had a lot to do with that, either. International agreement or cooperation on any particular matter does not necessarily require any dealing with the UN.
I know thanks; but at the beginning before commercial airflight everybody who had a plane could fly everywhere without Control like in a way todays spacetrips.

I would appreciate an earthspace terminal run by an international Organisation.If a Nation wants to send a rover or a satelite to mars there should be Nothing wrong if the world Controls the stuff brought in outterspace.Why are Airports international territory but the national spaceflightstations are not?

I mean if human can land rovers on asteroids(they did few years ago) you can do it again without People on earth noticing that an hijackedAsteroid is on controlled collision course.

Last edited:

Matthew Amt

Ad Honorem
Jan 2015
MD, USA
Probably the first manned mission to Mars will be via AI.
Hmm, doesn't "manned" mean "people riding on the rocket"? An AI probe is simply an unmanned probe, just more sophisticated than the ones we've been sending for decades.

Let's face it, most of the technological leaps and bounds in recent years have been in AI, so NASA might as well use it!
I strongly suspect that NASA is already looking into the possibilities of AI... Of course, if the first AI probe to Mars decides to conquer the planet by destroying or enslaving all the other probes and rovers already there, that won't do us a lot of good!

Matthew

Aug 2018
Southern Indiana
By the title of this thread, I thought it might be about the theory of a dead cosmonaut on the moon, something I just recently heard about.

Matthew Amt

Ad Honorem
Jan 2015
MD, USA
I know thanks; but at the beginning before commercial airflight everybody who had a plane could fly everywhere without Control like in a way todays spacetrips.
I suspect that was not the case--passports and customs control for international travel had been in use for quite a while, for both land and sea travel. Landing wherever you liked in a foreign country might get you arrested.

I would appreciate an earthspace terminal run by an international Organisation.If a Nation wants to send a rover or a satelite to mars there should be Nothing wrong if the world Controls the stuff brought in outterspace.
Unless that nation or corporation wants to do its own exploring or mining without being forced to share with everyone else. No profit, no attempt.

Why are Airports international territory but the national spaceflightstations are not?
I don't think airports are international territory? They are merely portals, because it's not convenient to stop every flight outside the border to check passports. It is quite common and perfectly legal for any nation's airport security to stop and hold any foreign traveller who is violating some law or regulation, and put them on the next flight back home. Because the airport belongs to the nation its in.

I mean if human can land rovers on asteroids(they did few years ago) you can do it again without People on earth noticing that an hijackedAsteroid is on controlled collision course.
Every space launch is noticed and tracked. For the simple reason that any rocket that size can carry a nuclear warhead! So the whole world will be able to watch that mission in detail. Not that any "rogue nation" would be able to build a craft capable of not only finding and landing on an asteroid, but pointing it back at Earth! It would take years for that kind of mission to happen, in any case, and even if the asteroid could not be stopped (which, given your scenario, I kind of doubt), that "rogue nation" would be a smoking ruin long before impact.

Matthew

Nov 2019
Bylanuelde,Alemannia
I suspect that was not the case--passports and customs control for international travel had been in use for quite a while, for both land and sea travel. Landing wherever you liked in a foreign country might get you arrested.
what i wanted to say it wasnt that strict like today visas occured i think later that i meant with Landing everywhere your ticket brings you.
Unless that nation or corporation wants to do its own exploring or mining without being forced to share with everyone else. No profit, no attempt.
this can be a an ethical issue like i previously mentioned exploring and mining on foreign planets for some nations on earth allowed or not?
I don't think airports are international territory? They are merely portals, because it's not convenient to stop every flight outside the border to check passports. It is quite common and perfectly legal for any nation's airport security to stop and hold any foreign traveller who is violating some law or regulation, and put them on the next flight back home. Because the airport belongs to the nation its in.
To be honest i get this info from the movie Terminal but i dont know if airports are nomansland.
Every space launch is noticed and tracked. For the simple reason that any rocket that size can carry a nuclear warhead! So the whole world will be able to watch that mission in detail. Not that any "rogue nation" would be able to build a craft capable of not only finding and landing on an asteroid, but pointing it back at Earth! It would take years for that kind of mission to happen, in any case, and even if the asteroid could not be stopped (which, given your scenario, I kind of doubt), that "rogue nation" would be a smoking ruin long before impact.
Finding and landing on an asteroid was sucessful.Pointing it back at earth with an receiver on Mars possible and not tracebale from earth when mars rotates with his backside.Yes very unlikely but not impossible in my humble opinion

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx

I would appreciate an earthspace terminal run by an international Organisation.If a Nation wants to send a rover or a satelite to mars there should be Nothing wrong if the world Controls the stuff brought in outterspace.Why are Airports international territory but the national spaceflightstations are not?

Airports are not ”international territory”. International travelers may travel through a country and its airports using transit lounges, but that does not make them international territories.

Matthew Amt

Ad Honorem
Jan 2015
MD, USA
Finding and landing on an asteroid was sucessful.Pointing it back at earth with an receiver on Mars possible and not tracebale from earth when mars rotates with his backside.Yes very unlikely but not impossible in my humble opinion
Yes, landing on an asteroid has been done by nations (or groups of nations) with *considerable* experience in building and operating spacecraft of various sorts, extensive construction and launch facilities, highly developed control centers, and thousands of highly trained and experienced people every step of the way. Sorry, but even North Korea is simply not capable of such a feat. Not to mention that no one has even attempted the kind of remote control you describe, in part because if no one on earth can detect the transmission, then no one on earth can MAKE the necessary transmissions! "Impossible" is the only possible conclusion.

It would be vastly easier for them to steal nuclear warheads from Russia or some other country. Or just buy them from Pakistan! The whole operation could be done in a few weeks, with no equipment more sophisticated than a helicopter.

Matthew

Feb 2014
Miami
Why don’t we just shut down nasa and let private enterprise take over. You literally showed me nasa is an awful money black hole