No other man on the Moon ...

Dec 2013
Arkansas
Probably the first manned mission to Mars will be via AI. That way we can save an enormous amount of time and money not having to worry about radiation or life support systems. It is worth noting that the Russians landed on the hostile environment of Venus using a relatively simple rocket and landing craft, years before the Americans landed on the moon. Let's face it, most of the technological leaps and bounds in recent years have been in AI, so NASA might as well use it!
the Soviet Venera landings on Venus were years AFTER the Apollo landings.

And you don't need artificial intelligence for unmanned probes anyway. We've operated dozens of landers and rovers remotely without a hint of artificial intelligence being used.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Now there exists a Space Troop but i remember this was already a Topic of the 80`s of the last centuary, so Nothing relly new United States Space Force - Wikipedia

If i were a r ougue Regime i would install step by step rovers and satelites at Mars and then head to the belt to bring an Asteroid in Control collision to earth.

So it would be better to let the UN control everything and everyone who will leave earth in a spacetrip and missions beyond earth should be internationalized.
Probably not going to happen, ever. The country that “pays the freight” is going to want to control its own mission. What Scientific wisdom is going to come from the UN besides none? But the possibility of a “joint mission” to Mars will be there to spread the risks around if we ever get to that point. I don’t doubt that we have the technology to get to Mars, but I believe that there is so much we don’t know about the survivability of our species in such an environment that we are going to need decades more to give an astronaut an even chance to survive.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Mah ... I remember the last great exploration mission: the one to Saturno, the Cassini Huygens. It was an international effort [NASA- ESA- ASI].

But in case of an international mission to Mars the problem would be to decide the nationality of the first human being to put his/her feet on Mars [probably a woman ... to be politically correct].

So, thinking to a mission with humans, I guess that the competition would be so intense to persuade the political leaderships to run on their own. And we will see a "run to Mars" like we saw a run to the Moon.

Dec 2019
Adelaide
I strongly suspect that NASA is already looking into the possibilities of AI... Of course, if the first AI probe to Mars decides to conquer the planet by destroying or enslaving all the other probes and rovers already there, that won't do us a lot of good!
Humans are more likely to enslave or destroy other planets, and anyway AI is still only as good or bad as the people who programme HER. Let HER explore with Love in her heart(and mind). Let HER find a mate, or at least search for one. The possibilities are infinite! Humans are also more likely to spread body and mind destroying viruses. I know, I'm ignoring science FICTION. The scientists did a great job sending up flu viruses into space to develop a super vaccine. Only somehow they ended up back here on earth, and a lot of rich people made a lot of money selling vaccines for more virulent mutated forms of flu virus. No doubt some rich people will make even more money digging up heavy metals to make CO2 free batteries, to replace pure, dirty methane gas as well. It's OK not to believe all you read. Just be careful what you do believe...

Dec 2019
Adelaide
the Soviet Venera landings on Venus were years AFTER the Apollo landings.

And you don't need artificial intelligence for unmanned probes anyway. We've operated dozens of landers and rovers remotely without a hint of artificial intelligence being used.
Bravo. I was wondering who would spot that silly mistake. But it doesn't alter the point that the Russians used rather primitive technology on great rockets. Super cool computers have advanced so rapidly in all ways that people are predicting soon they might even be able to think for themselves. You don't need AI to operate a probe but it would help if you didn't have to hang around hours or even weeks for an antiquated response to any inter-planetary procedure. Has anybody here even read Isaac Asimov in their childhood? Given the enormous risks involved, and the catastrophic effect failure would have on any Mars programme anywhere in the free world, surely it is basic common sense to use the most sophisticated technology we have in the hostile environment we would encounter on or near Mars first, before risking a human mission. Also, you can see that an unmanned mission using AI robots could potentially win any space race for the west, decades ahead of a suicide mission by Chinese or others designed to conquer space for nationalistic( oh sorry, Marxist-Leninist) principles. Once AI sets the parameters and proves that it can be done, we can send up the flags and the speechwriters to give all humanity that warm fuzzy feeling that we are not alone, that we'll have somewhere to go to when all the lights go out, spare me the crap etc. etc.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
FYI, one single solar flare, for which in open space you have no protection from, would kill everyone on board. We are about to reach an episode of flares which will be very high. Meaning that space flight outside our planet's protection would be exceptional stupid.
Yeah my lifelong fascination with space travel since the 1950s has collided with the reality of dying from radiation on a trip to Mars. Learn to run before you learn to rollerskate - it’s going to take a long time.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Personally I think that it would be nice that a woman would by the first human being to walk on Mars. Why not? After the first man on the Moon ... the first woman on Mars ...
Mmmmm, Mars = God of War, not a very feminine thing. Instead of worrying about the sex of the first person on Mars, it would be more profitable to devise a quick way back from there because otherwise the astronauts will die on the red planet.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Maybe i think it is better not to go interstellar because after reading the headnews with a possible war in space it is not the Right time for it.Maybe the UN should be involved in all spacetravels as a controlinstance ,i mean if you travel by plane you also have to go to several checkpoints identiycheck(booking)securitychecks(Body and stuff) and even after that depending on the country it is not sure that you can fly.

Imagine a nation is refusing to fly to the moon in a jointmission and is uilding a base on it and is reclaimig it for this nation on earth and doesnt allow other nation to land on it how do you handle it.
The UN? To do what?
When I was abroad in 1968 or 69, I was watching a television in an outdoor bar in North Africa when I witnessed the firstUS Moon Landing. There was a crowd outside of the store window. One of the other onlookers asked, “Is that the UN flag they just planted?” I chuckled to myself. The UN? Really? Because they paid for the mission and the thousands of hours of preparation time by thousands more people?

The one who pays the bill and risks everything gets the glory, not the bystanders.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
During the Cold War, there seemed to be a widespread belief in media circles, in particular that because the Soviet Union missed out on landing a man on the moon, they would set their sights on being the first nation to land a man on Mars. I remember the BBC Science correspondent, Reg Turnhill saying, "The first man on Mars would be a Russian".
Fat chance of that happening any time soon. Unless, of course, a national government is willing to risk the huge trauma that will follow after its astronauts die in flight from radiation (and whatever other kind there might be). One failure like that and it’ll be decades and billions more before anyone tries that again. The dreamers in here are leaning way out in front of their skis.