No other man on the Moon ...

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
The UN? To do what?
When I was abroad in 1968 or 69, I was watching a television in an outdoor bar in North Africa when I witnessed the firstUS Moon Landing. There was a crowd outside of the bar wanting to get in. One of the other onlookers asked, “Is that the UN flag they just planted?” I chuckled to myself. The UN? Really? Because they paid for the mission and the thousands of hours of preparation time by thousands more people?

The one who pays the bill and risks everything gets the glory, not the bystanders.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Mah ... not UN, but the only possibility is an international cooperation like the one which has made it possible to build the International Space Station. UN means nothing about space exploration. Well different matter would be a cooperation among NASA - ESA - ISA ... and so on.

Space agencies are there to manage the problems connected with the planning and the managing of a space expedition. UN hasn't got a space agency, so I don't see why to involve it.

Ok, I know it's an Italian woman to direct UNOOSA [which is supposed to be the UN space agency]. UNOOSA

But, have we ever heard about UNOOSA regarding a space mission? They organize conventions ...

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Why don’t we just shut down nasa and let private enterprise take over. You literally showed me nasa is an awful money black hole
You don’t fire the whole crew just because you don’t like a few of the people. And what is it about ‘private enterprise’ that’s better? It’s not as if there’s not a lot of clown behavior on the private side of things. And yeah the biggest most powerful rocket out there is American and it’s twice as powerful as anything ElonMusk ever put together.

Private enterprise is well and good, but I don’t want national space policy to be in the hands of private enterprise. Private contractors can and should work with the US government, but on the really big stuff, I prefer that it isn’t always the lowest bidder who wins the contract.

It was NASA that put our men into space in the 60s, not a private business of any sort. It was NASA that built the Mercury capsule; it was NASA that built the Gemini rockets and capsules; it was NASA that after a number of missions, put the first men on the moon, not some private contractor looking to make a profit. The reason government can do this is because private enterprise could never marshall the resources necessary for this Especially;;y when weighed against the risk.. People who sit around poo-pooing what NASA and the gov’t have done, don’t have a clue as to what it really takes.

I have high hopes that private enterprise will be able to do great things in space, but the first thing for them to keep in the front of their helmets is that others blazed these hard trails long before private enterprise would ever risk its capital to put a man in space. Yeah NASA, that “corrupt” organization that’s blazed these amazing trails.

I don’t doubt that some parts of NASA may now be a little long in the tooth like all organizations that have been around for about half a century, but they blazed the trail successfully and to listen to folks “clucking” about how bad NASA is, what have these private contractors ever done that even come close?

Last edited:

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
So, thinking to a mission with humans, I guess that the competition would be so intense to persuade the political leaderships to run on their own. And we will see a "run to Mars" like we saw a run to the Moon.
No we won’t.

Nov 2019
Bylanuelde,Alemannia
@royal744

With national space flights we only Transfer the same Problems we have on earth to outter space.It starts with territorial proclamation of Areas and recources which bears conflicts in it and which would eventually could cause a spacewar sometime.To avoid this humanity should fly in jointmissions to space,thats why put the UN as a controlinstance into Play.