No other man on the Moon ...

Nov 2019
Germany
I hate to be the spoil sport in this jambalaya of hopes and dreams, but the reality is long term space flight, even to a location as close as Mars is essentially a death sentence to astronauts. The primary reason is neutron irradiation. Astronauts traveling as far as the moon maintain a minimal protection of the earths radiation belt, but even in those rather limited missions, we see the long term effect of additional exposure to neutron irradiation which essentially tears not only at the cellular structure, but also at the DNA structure of astronauts on missions that are 1/2 or 1/3 the duration of a mission to Mars, with 10 to 20 times more exposure to neutron irradiation. To defeat that impact would require a structure so large around the "capsule" that would make it impossible. Beyond that is the simple impact of long term exposure of weightlessness on humans.
What About Building a marsbase in the caynon (i dont know the exact name) in it there would be place where you are protected from two or thres sides or if there is a suitable cave that would solve the Radiation issue youve quoted.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
What About Building a marsbase in the caynon (i dont know the exact name) in it there would be place where you are protected from two or thres sides or if there is a suitable cave that would solve the Radiation issue youve quoted.
Valles Marineris. Anyway more than to a canyon, a cave is what scientists are thinking to. Like on the Moon, only underground humans could live on Mars, because the "Red Planed" hasn't got a strong magnetic shield like the terrestrial one.

About this I remember that someone suggested the possibility to put at the L1 Lagrange point of Mars a dipole magnetic shield, just to protect the planet.

NASA Considers Magnetic Shield to Help Mars Grow Its Atmosphere

Nov 2019
Germany
There is another possibility, if it is confirmed that there are Glacier it would be the easiest way to drill a tunel deep enough against Radiation into These tunels a build a station in it.
I dont share the conspiracy Theory in this Video just wanted to bring up the idea that their could be glaciers near the pole Maybe.

Last edited:
Nov 2019
United States
Really the problem occurs most significantly during the spaceflight itself, by the time they got to the planet they are already in a extremely damaged state. I'm reading some talk about antiradiation suits and other unlikely options. However my own experience with form of radiation points to the need of a jacket of water that would be so immense as to make such solutions impractical.

Here is a scientific analysis of the impact of neutron irradiation on humans in space.

Nov 2019
United States
Here is a very basic report on what it takes to shield from neutrons:
"Neutron Shielding Lead is quite ineffective for blocking neutron radiation, as neutrons are uncharged and can simply pass through dense materials. Materials composed of low atomic number elements are preferable for stopping this type of radiation because they have a higher probability of forming cross-sections that will interact with the neutrons. Hydrogen and hydrogen-based materials are well-suited for this task. Compounds with a high concentration of hydrogen atoms, such as water, form efficient neutron barriers in addition to being relatively inexpensive shielding substances. However, low-density materials can emit gamma rays when blocking neutrons, meaning that neutron radiation shielding is most effective when it incorporates both high and low atomic number elements. The low-density material can disperse the neutrons through elastic scattering, while the high-density segments block the subsequent gamma rays with inelastic scattering."

Nov 2019
United States
Here is the other problem that really also has no immediate solution available; bone loss from zero gravity. Orbiting astronauts lose 10% of bone density every 6 ,months in space, probability is thatnone orbiting astronauts would lose mass at a potentially greater speed. Meaning that by the time they got to Mars they would be unable to function in even Mars diminished gravity.

Dec 2013
Arkansas
Remember a few things

1) As conceived the shuttle was supposed to be part of a larger program including a permanent space station, a nuclear transfer stage, a lunar descent and ascent module and a Mars descent and ascent module.

For the purpose of a manned Mars mission the idea was that all of the above would be carried into orbit by the shuttle. A space station module would be the mission module for a manned Mars mission with the Mars descent and ascent module docked to it and the nuclear transfer stage would propel the stack to Mars and back.

2) A big argument for the shuttle was the cancellation of the American Supersonic Transport airliner. That hurt the aircraft industry in California considerably. Building the space shuttle orbiters was supposed to help alleviate those pains.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
I know radiations as well. The pivotal point is time of exposure, not exactly intensity.

And this is the "showstopper" about a travel to Mars: some estimates say that during one day in the outer space a human body receives the radiations it receives on Earth in a year [cosmic radiations reach us on Earth as well, but in well inferior measure!].

NASA even run a study involving two twins [NASA’s Landmark Twins Study Reveals Resilience of Human Body in Space]. But this is the minor threat: there is the problem of the solar eruptions.

Keeping in mind that it's difficult that a journey to Mars can take less than 6 months [and astronauts will have to come back, after spending some weeks on the Red Planet ...], if I have to report what an Italian physicists said ... "As it stands today, we can’t go to Mars due to radiation. It would be impossible to meet acceptable dose limits" [Marco Durante, ESA].

Nov 2019
Germany
Here is the other problem that really also has no immediate solution available; bone loss from zero gravity. Orbiting astronauts lose 10% of bone density every 6 ,months in space, probability is thatnone orbiting astronauts would lose mass at a potentially greater speed. Meaning that by the time they got to Mars they would be unable to function in even Mars diminished gravity.
Magnetic attraction is the Keyword.Let them wear ironsuits in a spacemodul with an strong electromagneticfield in the Floor and you have something like gravity.A magnetic field around the spaceship would also protect against the Radiation from space but im not really sure if my thought is correct.

Last edited: