Norte Dame on fire

Oct 2011
Lago Maggiore, Italy
No, this is time to realize that we are losing a piece of the Soul of our Civilization. A piece of the history of our species.

Anyway, in the right tower [this is the visual impression watching TV images] I would say that firefighters are beginning to win their battle.

Jun 2015
UK
It would be a tragedy if the entire structure burns down. Though without being cynical, Macron isn't very popular, so will surely use this as some big public works project.
That said, the Catholic Church is hardly poor. Surely the Holy See would have to contribute here.

Feb 2009
Eastern PA
UPDATE #2: 3:55 EST

French Interior Minister just announced that the 400 firefighters battling the flames may not be able to save the Cathedral, per MSNBC. Dropping water by plane would essentially bring about the collapse of the edifice.

Oct 2013
Europix
I can't help thinking at Frauenkirche in Dresden.

It wasn't destroyed by bombs, but by the fire: the temperature was so high that the stone didn't hold any longer and the church collapsed.

I think I will try to go to sleep. Can't watch it.

Mar 2019
Kansas
It would be a tragedy if the entire structure burns down. Though without being cynical, Macron isn't very popular, so will surely use this as some big public works project.
That said, the Catholic Church is hardly poor. Surely the Holy See would have to contribute here.
This will have nothing to do with money. The craftsmanship and engineering that went into the building are going to be hard to replicate.

Oct 2011
Lago Maggiore, Italy
Now, I'm more specialized in NBC events [ Nuclear, Biological, Chemical accidents], but as operator of Civil Protection I do know how such a fire works.

It's a chemical matter: to extinguish a fire you need to decrease the temperature to make the chemical reaction generating fire impossible [you stop it]. Water is great to do this since it absorbs a great quantity of heat. The alternative is to remove oxygen [like when you use a fire extinguisher].

Unfortunately giant fire extinguishers aren't, so that to try and decrease the temperature is the only way.

Someone can wonder "if Notre Dame is made of stone ... what's feeding the fire?". Wood is feeding the fire. In a stone medieval cathedral [unfortunately] there is a lot of wood. And the heat of the flames deforms the stone structures. This is why a stone pinnacle has fallen. You could think that marble is not affected by heat, but above 1,000 C° also marble [and similar stones] begins to suffer ...

Similar History Discussions